Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Community Organizing & Engagement Coordinator
Overview: Association for Energy Affordability (AEA) is a non-profit energy services and training organization dedicated to achieving energy efficiency in buildings in order to foster and maintain affordable and healthy housing and communities. AEA participates in a variety of federal, state, and local energy efficiency initiatives to improve existing buildings and support high performance new construction projects. AEA is a national organization and leader in multifamily energy efficiency, with 30 years of industry experience. For more information about AEA, see http://www.aea.us.org.
Position Summary: AEA is seeking an experienced Community Organizing & Engagement Coordinator to conduct outreach and organizing with community-based organizations and clean energy advocates. This position reports to the Director of Advocacy & Organizing and will be a combination of community organizing, engagement and training through meetings, webinars and event coordination.
The position will be a hybrid of remote and on-site work, with periodic staff meetings at AEA’s headquarters in the Bronx, and travel to in-person meetings and events throughout NYC. We are looking for someone who likes working to educate others and developing and maintaining strong, collaborative relationships with diverse groups.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with team and partner organizations to develop and implement public outreach and education strategies and campaigns.
- Develop, update and maintain databases of community groups and partners in spreadsheets for use in targeted outreach, mailings, and email blasts through MailChimp.
- Conduct public education programs and public speaking engagements both virtually and in person, and serve as a representative of AEA to the public and the media.
- Attend conferences and events to table, network, and represent AEA and coalition programs.
- Assist with AEA programming and day-to-day operations tasks as is appropriate including supporting other team members on communications work and providing technical training.
- Participate in coalition calls to advance building decarbonization.
- Recruit, engage, and develop volunteer leaders to organize phone banks, table, canvass, plan events, lobby, facilitate meetings, and other activities that advance the strategic goals of our campaigns.
- Assist in building the capacity and leadership of community members and allied grassroots organizations by offering training and organizing support and resources.
- 3+ years of experience working on campaigns, or other relevant experience in community organizing and education.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to work well with diverse communities.
- Collaborative work style and ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different backgrounds.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends.
- Ability to work in a computerized environment and have adequate knowledge of word processing, email, internet and spreadsheet software; in particular in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and Zoom. Familiarity with Photoshop, CANVA, and design/layout software, Mailchimp, WordPress, and Action Network are preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of clean energy policy issues and prior experience in a grassroots organizing environment are pluses, but not required.
- A commitment to racial, gender, and economic justice.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred but not required.
- Some combination of relevant education and experience. Clear demonstration of ability to develop effective communication and organizing strategies.
The ideal candidate will be committed to advancing an equitable transition to clean energy in New York through advocacy, education and engagement with diverse communities.
Please note that AEA’s compensation philosophy is based on a geographical market approach and business needs, and the salary range listed relates specifically to roles located in the New York metropolitan area.
Starting salaries may vary for different individuals in the same role based on experience, competencies and level demonstrated during the interview process; aligned with AEA’s internal equity guidelines and benchmarks.
AEA’s compensation and career growth philosophy focuses on contribution and impact in the role.
And the range listed is just one component of AEA’s total compensation package for employees.
Must be able to legally work in the country where this position is located without visa sponsorship.
AEA requires a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Therefore, all new employees are required to present proof of vaccination status upon hire unless they qualify for a medical or religious exemption.
EEO Non-Discrimination and ADA Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
Applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, immigration or citizenship status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or partnership status, disability, military status, veteran status, or predisposing genetic characteristics. AEA does not discriminate on the basis of physical or mental disability where the essential functions of the job can be reasonably accommodated. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For more information on the physical requirements of this position and/or if you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency at 718-292-6733 ext. 8265.
We maintain an inclusive culture where everyone feels safe to contribute and help us innovate and encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply to our open roles.
TO APPLY: Interested applicants must submit a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please share examples of your current or past work that you were most proud of and why.
Please note that candidates with Gmail should check their spam folder for @aeacleanenergy.org correspondence.
You may find all of our open positions at our Careers site here: https://aea.us.org/about/#careers
AEA offers excellent benefits, including medical/dental/vision, commuter plan, 401(k) w/ matching contribution, generous PTO, educational assistance, hybrid work arrangement and many development opportunities.
Job posted: 2023-05-25