Congressional & External Affairs Advocate
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 3.1 million members and online activists to protect the planet’s wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 500 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana, and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking an advocate to work on clean energy policy with the U.S. Congress. A key member of the Congressional and External Affairs team in the Climate and Clean Energy program, this position will be focused on policies to advance clean energy research and development, deployment incentives and standards. Advocacy and lobbying experience will be essential to secure necessary stakeholder and policy maker support, and experience working with diverse view points and business and conservative positions will be critical. The position is based in Washington, DC.
- In collaboration with other team members, conduct outreach to Congressional members, staff and priority stakeholders.
- Address a wide range of policy topics and formulate new ideas and responses quickly.
- Engage in advocacy with diverse stakeholders, including both liberal and conservative groups.
- Effectively represent NRDC at public events and with the media.
- Lobby on policies most likely contained in infrastructure, energy, tax and appropriations bills.
- Work closely with many other NRDC policy experts, analysts and attorneys on a wide range of topics.
- Undergraduate or advanced degree in political science, energy policy, law, or other fields relevant to the position.
- 3+ years of experience working with or for the U.S. Congress.
- Clean energy-related policy experience and/or legal experience is a plus.
- Exceptional writing and research skills.
- Comfort interpreting scientific and technical concepts.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Comfort advocating, lobbying and building relationships.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Applications are open until January 8, 2019.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, for positions based in San Francisco, CA we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/careers and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. We encourage you to upload any additional papers or project work that you think would showcase your abilities. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-800-889-4422.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org .
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-11