America’s Public Television Stations is seeking a highly motivated candidate to engage congressional offices and effectively advocate for local public television stations. A key member of the Government and Public Affairs team, this position will focus on developing and maintaining relationships with congressional offices, communicating the important work being done by local public television stations, and broadening the base of bipartisan support from Members of Congress for this work and the continued federal investment in public television.
The Congressional Liaison will report to the Vice President of Government and Public Affairs and will work closely with all members of the government relations and communications staff.
- In collaboration with other team members, conduct outreach to Congressional members, staff and stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant, bipartisan Congressional staff and others involved in the policymaking process.
- Lobby on policies in a range of areas including Education, Homeland Security, Budget, Appropriations and others as needed.
- Work closely with local public television stations to effectively communicate their work and needs to Congress and coordinate lobbying activities.
- Share summaries of congressional meetings, policy developments and intelligence with the rest of the Government and Public Affairs team.
- Contribute to the creation of advocacy materials including fact sheets, talking points and email messages to congressional offices.
- Assist with research on legislative policy issues and support APTS efforts to monitor issues and advance appropriate policy.
- Assist in drafting legislation, testimony and other materials as necessary.
- Assist with developing congressional briefings and attend relevant briefings and events.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Experience and Qualifications
- 2+ years full time experience working with or for the U.S. Congress, ideally with policy responsibilities.
- Understanding of the federal legislative and appropriations process.
- Commitment to the importance of public media and local public television stations.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Talent for advocating, lobbying and building relationships.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Computer literacy skills (Microsoft Office tools including Word, Excel and Outlook).
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
$60,000 – $80,000. Salary commensurate with experience.
The Congressional Liaison position includes an excellent benefits package and pleasant working environment. APTS is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants will be evaluated on a rolling basis.
Please submit a cover letter with resume, brief writing sample and salary history to Tammye F. Heatley, APTS, 2100 Crystal Drive, Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22202, fax application to 202.654.4236, or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please. Visit www.apts.org.
Job posted: 2019-04-11