Congressional Research Analyst
- Perform a broad range of congressional research / administrative duties and special assignments in support of the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Legislative Affairs (OASD(LA)).
- Conduct extensive and thorough research of current legislative actions based on knowledge of the Department’s congressional issues.
- Review congressional committee reports, bills, and public laws in detail in order to identify congressional requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) for future action.
- Maintain OASD(LA) congressional information databases, ensuring materials are complete, up-to-date and organized to facilitate easy access to legislation and information which pertains to DoD; compile legislative history materials for defense authorization and appropriation bills.
- Analyze congressional issues, events, and actions to determine the appropriate materials and data needed by the OASD(LA), the best approach to obtain this data, and to determine the relevance and sufficiency of available congressional materials in support of the OASD(LA).
- Research authorization and appropriation related issues in congressional publications to include the Congressional Record, congressional correspondence, committee bills and reports, public laws and other relevant documents to apprise the OASD(LA) senior staff of items of special importance to DoD.
- Screen abstracts from the Congressional Record for activities relating to DoD, track legislative items affecting DoD, and prepare reports highlighting developments.
- Prepare special legislative research projects, such as constructing legislative histories on specific issues or programs relating to the DoD authorization and appropriation legislation.
- Monitor Congressional Quarterly, Lexis Nexis, RollCall and Congress.gov or equivalent information sources to extract relevant information for use by the OASD(LA) senior staff. Extract and summarize specific information of importance to the OASD(LA) senior leadership for their interactions with DoD senior civilian and military leadership and Congress.
- Receive products from DoD components and summarize/remediate as necessary.
- Must have strong writing and analytical skills.
- Must have the ability to perform work under strict deadlines with short notice.
- Must have flexibility to support “off-hour” Secretary of Defense requirements and demands.
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Should possess a background in one, or more of the following fields: defense policy, paralegal work, library science or research, and national security analysis.
- Knowledge and experience with the following applications/programs desired:
- Congressional Quarterly (CQ)
- Congress.gov (Library of Congress)
- US Code
- Various internet search engines and publications
- Competitive Salaries and Benefits Package
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Vacation Time
- Advancement Opportunities
- Commuting Reimbursement
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-30