Consultant, Campaigns & Advocacy
At APCO, you will work closely with colleagues across multiple disciplines and around the world to help advise, build, and manage advocacy campaigns on behalf of clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies and leading trade associations to smaller advocacy coalitions. You’ll have an opportunity to apply a deep knowledge of the political landscape to advocacy campaigns that combine strategic communications, stakeholder engagement and mobilization, media engagement, social media advocacy, and client management. You’ll be right in the thick of the most consequential debates in general Aviation and Financial Services, pressing for policy solutions that promote innovation and allow these industries to thrive.
- Independently manage association member relations and serving as the main point of contact in some cases
- Provide insights into business and political landscape to help amplify campaign strategies
- Identify and engage third parties on client strategies and uncover common ground
- Work with multiple internal teams – such as our in-house research, social media, creative, and media relations teams – to incorporate their skill-sets into overall campaign strategy and ensure flawless execution of the client’s priorities
- Manage and review content developed by staff, ranging from op-ed drafts to explainers and messaging documents to advocacy letters and social media content. Ensure that all messages and tactics are consistent and strategically aligned
- Identify and engage directly with reporters and third-party voices as needed, such as to brief them on key developments, help educate them on background on weedy policy issues
- Manage client expectations while maintaining our firm’s unwavering standards for honesty and ethics, earning clients’ respect, trust and confidence
- Keep the team appropriately informed and involved in projects; ensure projects run smoothly, and help team members feel empowered, respected, and educated
- Participate in opportunities for organic client growth, maintaining strong relationships with key clients and growing APCO’s profile within their networks.
- At least 1-3 years of experience working in campaign advocacy, public policy, political campaign management, financial services, communications, public affairs or government relations.
- A proven ability to communicate among stakeholder and third-party advocates in this space (such as academic experts and think tanks, advocacy organizations, civil society groups, etc.) and/or experience in managing stakeholder coalitions in a legislative, regulatory, or political campaign setting.
- Excellent writing skills are a must, with an emphasis on an ability to communicate complex policy issues in accessible, plain-English terms.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, at minimum; a law degree or public policy graduate degree and experience practicing in the aviation or financial services space is a significant advantage.
- Excellent client and interpersonal skills; ability to manage independent client relationships and communicate effectively by phone, email, and in-person
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and junior team members, as well as prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Strong presentation skills
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-24