Consultant II, Policy
Avalere Health is seeking a Consultant II level candidate to join our Policy practice.
Avalere Health is a strategic advisory company whose core purpose is to create innovative solutions to complex healthcare problems. Based in Washington, DC, the firm delivers actionable insights, business intelligence tools, and custom analytics for leaders in healthcare business and policy. Avalere’s experts span 230 staff drawn from Fortune 500 healthcare companies, the federal government (e.g., CMS, OMB, CBO, and the Congress), top consultancies, and nonprofits. The firm offers deep substance on the full range of healthcare business issues affecting the Fortune 500 healthcare companies. As an Inovalon company (Nasdaq: INOV), Avalere’s focus on strategy is supported by outstanding data analytics that generate unique insights and meaningful business improvement. Through events, publications, and interactive programs, Avalere insights are accessible to a broad range of customers.
The Policy practice focuses on a range of issues, including ongoing federal and state discussion around health reform, federal and state implementation of the Affordable Care Act, and health insurance exchanges. We rely on deep subject-matter expertise and understanding of the business issues facing our clients to assess how this changing policy landscape impacts the pharmaceutical industry, managed care plans, providers, and consumers. This position would focus primarily on commercial insurance policy, reform, regulation, and strategy, but would also leverage subject-matter expertise across the full range of Avalere’s health policy issues.
- Serve as a subject-matter expert on health policy-related issues impacting the pharmaceutical/biotech, and health insurance industries, with both a state and federal policy/regulatory focus
- Lead subject-matter development and response on key healthcare reform issues around Affordable Care Act (ACA) legislative and regulatory reforms, state healthcare policy and benefit mandates, federal commercial insurance market rules (e.g., ERISA), state regulation of health insurance, Medicaid coverage requirements, and cross-industry impacts of public program changes
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the current regulatory environment and key topics including administrative procedure processes, legal challenges to the ACA, commercial insurance regulation (e.g., surprise billing, transparency), and anti-kickback statute reforms
- Lead teams within the Policy practice and across the firm to analyze and summarize federal and state statutes and regulations across the full breadth of health policy topics
- Generate business with new clients and grow business with existing clients; create both strategic and tactical recommendations for clients depending on their policy and business needs
- Manage a portfolio of clients to identify and deliver on business opportunities and projects that dovetail with Avalere’s expertise and offerings
- Manage multiple clients, as well as short- and long-term deliverables, to ensure that all of Avalere’s knowledge and expertise are available to meet client needs
- Solve complex client issues in a timely and appropriate manner with minimal management oversight and attention to resources
- Conceptualize, design, and execute—from start to finish—a broad range of client projects involving diverse, cross-functional, cross-practice teams
- Hire, train, supervise, and mentor staff members within the practice and across the firm
Skills, Experience, and Other Job-Related Requirements
- A degree in health law, health policy, public policy, healthcare management, public health, public administration, health economics, business administration, or a relevant discipline; candidates with a law degree are preferred
- Expertise in using Lexis Nexis or Westlaw databases required
- Deep knowledge of federal and state commercial market regulation and the state regulatory process, as well as federal and state insurance regulations
- Solid communication skills (written and verbal) including the ability to concisely explain complicated concepts to executives within and outside of the firm.
Additional Skills and Competencies
- Sophisticated understanding of the policy issues impacting the healthcare sector, business dynamics in the marketplace, and how federal and state policy impacts the industry
- Proven situational leadership skills and the ability to motivate and generate enthusiasm with individuals across all levels of the organization
- Exemplary interpersonal skills that translate into positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and clients
- Outstanding problem-solving and analytic skills with the ability to apply knowledge outside of one’s immediate functional area
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- 4–6 years of relevant work experience, which could include employment by a law firm, health insurance company, relevant trade group, Capitol Hill, federal or state regulatory agencies, think tank, or advocacy organization; in particular, experience should be focused on Medicaid or commercial insurance; additional experience with any or all of the policy issues related to implementation of federal and state policies is also helpful
- Significant experience analyzing policy proposals, legislation, or regulations and conveying findings to clients and the public
- Project management experience
- Experience overseeing and supervising the work of staff members
Job posted: 2021-04-19