Consumer Affairs Director
At American Family Insurance, we’re driven by our customers and employees. That’s why we provide more than just a job – we provide opportunity. Whether you’re already part of our team in search of a new challenge or new to our company and ready for what’s next, you’re in the right place. Every dream is a journey that starts with a single step. Start your journey right here. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
R16996 Consumer Affairs Director (Open)
Responsible for company’s compliance with state statutes relating to complaint handling and complaint record retention. Oversees the responses to questions, comments, and complaints that have been addressed to American Family through policyholders, departments of insurance, and other third parties, ensuring that questions, comments, and complaints are answered in an efficient manner. Provides all levels of company management with direction and assistance in complaint handling and answering. Represents Chairman and President on complaint handling issues. Provides other divisions and departments within the company with complaint data used for trends analysis.
Strategies Linked to the Division’s Business Goals/Results (30%)
- Establishes, communicates, and implements departmental plans, objectives, and strategies.
- Participates as member of the management team.
- Maintains an active awareness of American Family’s business environments, corporate culture, and structure to support key decision making.
- Allocates resources to division and department priorities and initiatives.
Management / Leadership for Operating Areas (30%)
- Manages direct reports, systems, and projects to achieve operational goals. This is done in accordance with company policy.
- Provides leadership by exhibiting influence and expertise, thus affecting the results of the operating area.
- Performs administrative activities in a timely manner to effectively manage the operating areas including, but not limited to, budget preparation, report preparation, staff projections, and salary administration.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing and rewarding outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications.
- Develops staff by coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance reviews, and establishing developmental plans.
Strategies for Complaint Handling and Compliance (30%)
- Directs research of state statutes regarding complaint handling, making sure American Family’s complaint handling procedures are in compliance with statutes, establishing guidelines and procedures for handling insurance department and regulator, customer privacy, and other types of complaints for Consumer Affairs staff, ensuring compliance with state statutes. Publishes and maintains procedure manual for Consumer Affairs staff and all company employees.
- Works with corporate Legal and Government Affairs Counsels to direct the development of appropriate guidelines for sensitive complaint situations as they develop.
- Directs the process for providing, coordinating, and monitoring complaint information provided during insurance department and regulators’ Market Conduct Exams and reconciliation process.
- Networks with insurance department and regulator personnel to establish positive relationships between the company and regulators.
Database Management (5%)
- Determines appropriate changes to complaint database to ensure compliance with state statutes for complaint handling and maintenance.
- Provides I/S with direction to determine functional requirements for changes to complaint database ensuring compliance with state statutes.
- Directs the coordination of processes within Consumer Affairs to determine the needs of other divisions or departments within the company for data retention and retrieval.
- Budgets resources for complaint database changes, repairs, and support.
Consumer Affairs Staff Complaint Handling Development (5%)
- Performs management staff audits of Consumer Affairs management`s audits of complaint files to ensure proper handling and compliance with state statutes.
- Directs the training of Consumer Affairs staff on establishing working relationships with the insurance department and regulators.
- Establishes guidelines and procedures used by Consumer Affairs staff for working with company’s upper management.
- Provides direction and guidance to Consumer Affairs staff and company management on negotiations with insurance departments and regulators regarding agreements for resolution of complaints where company’s actions and complaint responses are being challenged.
- Oversees a discretionary fund used by the Consumer Affairs staff for financial complaint resolution not covered by other areas of the company.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service
- Demonstrated experience in consumer or customer relations administration with experience in regulatory compliance.
- Demonstrated experience tactfully and effectively working with people of diverse cultures, education, and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated management or leadership experience.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of property, casualty, life, health, business insurance and financial services with an ability to analyze and interpret technical insurance procedures, guidelines and policies.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of the company’s operations and the functions performed by other divisions and departments.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of relational databases.
Additional Job Information:
- Previous complaint resolution program experience preferred
- Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks
- Offer to selected candidate is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visas) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position
- Relocation assistance is available
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-04