Consumer Health Public Affairs Leader (Skin Health)
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health Division of Johnson & Johnson is recruiting a Public Affairs Leader to support our global Skin Health portfolio. This individual will ideally be based in North America, in close proximity to Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health offices in Skillman, NJ or Washington ,DC.
Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health develops and markets personal care products, over-the-counter medicines, and natural health products that help millions of people around the world take care of themselves and their loved ones. The portfolio includes heritage brands JOHNSON’S® Baby, BAND-AID® and LISTERINE®, leading skin care brands such as AVEENO® and NEUTROGENA®, and self-care brands including TYLENOL® and NICORETTE®.
Diversity and inclusion are central elements of the shared culture across the Johnson & Johnson enterprise. Attracting, developing and retaining a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities is essential to our success. We are committed to providing a respectful, inclusive and accessible work environment where all employees have the opportunity to achieve their potential.
Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
The Public Affairs Leader will be part of a nimble, global Communications & Public Affairs team responsible for media relations, public affairs, issues/crisis management, brand and business communications, and reputation/stakeholder engagement across the global Consumer Health portfolio. The Public Affairs Leader will develop and implement a Public Affairs strategy to support the Skin Health organization’s business objectives worldwide and may have additional focused responsibility within their geographic region. He/she will become a thought partner with the Global Franchise Leader for Skin Health, reporting to the Global Leader, Public Affairs, and work closely with Regional Communications Leaders and the Global Media Relations & Issues Management Leader to build stakeholder trust, preference and advocacy through integrated, multi-stakeholder communication programs that support business objectives and drive reputation. He/she will develop capability that supports the growth of our Consumer Health business and contributes to a stronger Global Corporate Affairs function.
- Develop and execute public affairs strategies that impact belief, action, behavior and advocacy to shape the external environment in a proactive and timely manner
- Identify and understand emerging and future trends in the external environment which could impact the Consumer Health Self Care portfolio – counsel franchise leaders and other internal colleagues on potential proactive approaches
- Partner with business leadership and customer teams to engage retailers and shape retail policy through science, evidence, and data
- Work closely with Government Affairs & Policy colleagues (global, national and/or sub-national) to shape and execute external stakeholder engagement strategies that inform key public policy issues relevant to our business
- Work closely with R&D, professional marketing, medical safety, and EHS&S teams within Consumer Health and the Enterprise to meaningfully translate science, evidence, and data into actionable stakeholder engagement opportunities
- Build and lead highly-effective, multifunctional working teams that bring together internal subject-matter experts to nimbly address business risks and opportunities
- Segment key stakeholder motivations, needs and expectations to identify the most relevant business opportunities and strategies
- Drive trade association engagement aligned to strategic business priorities
- Cultivate media opportunities and speaking opportunities to enhance the business and reputation, in collaboration with Regional Communications leaders and Enterprise Communications
- Protect and enhance the reputation and equity of Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health through strategic thought leadership on priority issues
- For example: skin cancer prevention, smoking cessation, sustainability, ingredient transparency, etc.
- Develop and nurture third party relationships and strategic alliances
- Protect and enhance the reputation and equity of Johnson & Johnson and Johnson & Johnson Consumer Health through strategic media relations and issues/crisis communication programs in partnership with cross-sector and cross-functional Enterprise teams, as needed
- Lead Issues Management assessment, preparedness and response, including the development of a media engagement strategy when required
- Engage Social and Professional influencer engagement and management
- Partner with Regional Communications leaders to develop and pitch positive stories to enhance brand and enterprise reputation in collaboration with Global Media Relations & Issues Management Leader
- Adhere to consistent measurement protocols, social media/influencer practices and policies and other compliance guidelines
- Collaborate with Consumer Health and Brand Communications colleagues as it relates to larger sector-wide communications opportunities with external stakeholders
- Actively encourage others to share external and internal best practices and contribute to standardized tools and practices to build a world-class Communications & Public Affairs function
- Manage and harmonize efforts of multiple agencies and/or consultants across teams, ensuring expectations are met and deliverables are clear
- Drive alignment with careful communications practices and partner with law department and health care compliance to ensure adherence to established protocols
- Role model effective counsel to business leaders by listening, understanding and providing credible expertise, relevant insights and transparent feedback
- Model a healthy Enterprise culture by championing and facilitating a Diversity and Inclusion mindset that aligns with Our Credo and Leadership Imperatives
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required
- Advanced degree in Journalism, Communications, or Public Affairs is preferred
- Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in corporate communication with a focus on media relations, public affairs, crisis/issues management, innovative reputation-building and brand management work is required
- Current or previous experience working in a global function and demonstrated understanding of global organization issues with the ability to navigate ambiguous situations is required
- Demonstrated expertise managing high profile issues/crisis situations utilizing various communications and engagement channels is required
- Current or previous experience working in a fast-paced, matrix environment and driving results through internal and external influence is required
- Ability to demonstrate experienced judgment in critical decision making on issues impacting corporate reputation and is sought after as a trusted advisor is required
- Current or previous experience hiring and developing top agency talent is required
- Ability to maintain perspective and bring positive demeanor and courage to partnership discussions is required
- Ability to demonstrate maturity and to work effectively across levels, functions, regions, and backgrounds is required
- Ability to develop successful partnerships and influence with senior executives is required
- Ability to stay aligned with overall strategic direction while applying diligence and attention to detail in execution and reliably meeting deadlines is required
- Current or previous experience working in a public policy environment is beneficial
- Current or previous experience working in a healthcare or consumer products company is preferred
- Current or previous experience working for an NGO or patient advocacy group is beneficial
- Proficient in English
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-24