Content Specialist, Communications – (2000587)
The Content Specialist is part of the University Relations team within the Division of Communications at Vanderbilt University and is a key individual contributor responsible for proposing, assigning, writing and editing content for all university platforms. The role will also serve as editor as assigned, and all work will be to enhance Vanderbilt University’s reputation and advance the university’s mission as a premier academic research institution. Leveraging storytelling, writing and editing expertise, this position identifies compelling stories, particularly among donors and alumni, conducts interviews, plans coverage approach for a variety of differ distribution channcels and writes and coordinates stories. Reporting directly to the Editorial Strategy Director, the Content Specialist works closely with other members of the University Relations team, across the Division of Communications and with others across campus to achieve these goals.
The University Relations team within the Division of Communications is responsible for developing and executing strategic content and developing digital platforms that advance the university’s priorities and promote engagement among all core audiences. The Content Specialist will work within the Editorial Strategy function.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write and edit stories and other content for all university channels and publications.
- Develop stories and pitches, especially around donor and alumni content.
- Consider all media formats and use all channels including web, social media and traditional environments to communicate, including posting online content and executing digital distribution strategies, to support position goals.
- Partner closely with the Communications Strategy team to identify story needs and possible distribution channels for content.
- Write content as needed to support the goals of the University Relations team, to include overall web content, talking points, speeches, leadership messaging, and other projects as assigned. Demonstrate fluency with AP style and university style guidelines as part of this work.
- Communicate with students, faculty, staff, alumni and their families as needed for stories and other items.
- Coordinate closely with the Marketing Solutions Creative Strategy team and Digital Strategies team to identify appropriate design approach and assets to support projects as assigned.
- Demonstrate familiarity with social media and web content conventions.
- Be able to rigorously fact-check your own work and others.
- Provide overall support as needed and assigned for department priorities.
- Demonstrate understanding of the university’s mission, values, goals and priorities and an ability to ensure that all are considered in developing communications strategies.
- Communicate and collaborate effectively with a wide range of audiences—including faculty, students, leadership, staff, alumni, suppliers and agencies.
- Efficiently and effectively manage multiple, complex and results-oriented projects with quick turn-around requirements.
- Adhere to confidentiality and business ethics; demonstrate outstanding judgment and discretion.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- A bachelor’s degree is necessary.
- A degree in communications or higher education is preferred.
- At least 2 years of editorial experience is necessary.
- Editorial skills, including continuing education or certification, is preferred.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-07