Coordinator of Local Government & Regulatory Affairs
Reports to: Director of Regional Policy & Government Affairs
Along with Director of Regional Policy & Government Affairs, collaboratively manages local legislative and regulatory issues pertaining to life science throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Supports the objectives of the organization by proactively influencing local elected officials/staff in moving forward the Biocom public policy and legislative agenda. Serves as a main point of contact for local facilities and environmental health and safety professionals, supportive staff for other local policy- and government-related committees and initiatives. This position reports to the Director of Regional Policy & Government Affairs and will work closely with the Bay Area Executive Director.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works with Associate Manager of Government Affairs & Events to develop programming for department events and legislative activities including roundtables and tours, Facilities/EH&S workshops, and receptions.
- Secondary staff to Bay Area Policy Working Group.
- Primary staff to the Bay Area Facilities/Environmental Health & Safety Committee.
- Proactively tracks legislation and public policy issues primarily focusing at the local government level within the Bay Area.
- Analyzes and prepares summaries of legislative and policy issues as assigned.
- Researches legislative issues as requested.
- Testifies or prepares testimony as appropriate before elected and appointed bodies on industry positions as necessary.
- Meets with elected officials and staff on industry positions regarding key legislative and public policy issues.
- Meets with Bay Area chambers of commerce, economic development entities and other business and workforce related entities, as appropriate.
- Composes Biocom correspondence on local Bay Area legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Keeps records of meetings and topics discussed with local government officials for municipal/regional filings as required by law.
- Writes articles on Bay Area policy initiatives for newsletters, social media and other outlets, as needed.
- Ability to develop positive relationships with members/staff of the CA legislature, CA Congressional Delegation and local government within the Bay Area. Existing relationships preferred.
- Ability to motivate the membership to participate and become engaged in public policy initiatives.
- Ability to prepare policy analysis and track policy development
- Possess excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Working knowledge of the life science industry preferred.
- Proficient in communicating the mission of the association and its benefits to prospective members
- Ability to independently initiate, prioritize and complete diverse tasks efficiently and in a well-organized fashion.
- Ability to work with management both within the organization and within the structure of Biocom member companies.
- Proficient in computer software packages, such as Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with others in a fast-paced, team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work in a matrix environment
Education: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Political Science, Public Policy, or a related field.
Experience: Minimum one to three years’ experience working within government at the federal, state and/or local level(s), either within a regulatory agency or a legislative office/committee staff or equivalent experience. Trade association or life science experience pertaining to public policy/government affairs a plus.
Biocom is the premier life science industry association representing more than 1,300 member companies throughout California. The association focuses on initiatives that positively influence the growth of the life science industry, including capital formation, public policy, workforce development, group purchasing, and scientific discovery and development.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2020-10-16