Coordinator, Public Affairs
WHO WE ARE
The Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) is the US trade association for leading retailers and is based in Washington, D.C. Through collaboration and thought leadership, we provide retail executives a forum to network, share best practices, advance ideas, and take action.
Equally as important, RILA values a work environment where employees can thrive. We rely on teamwork, respect, trust and transparency, flexibility, and commitment to serve ourselves and our members well.
The Coordinator, Public Affairs is a full-time entry-level non-exempt position that provides general administrative, legislative and political support to the public affairs department, which includes federal and state government affairs and communications. This position reports to the Senior EVP of Public Affairs.
Required Skills & Experience
- Provide support and administrative assistance to RILA’s public affairs department
- Coordinate administrative support for relevant internal committee and work groups, including meeting schedules, logistics, updates, conference calls, invitations, reserving meeting space, and day of event execution
- Maintain and update department’s database and website assets, including committee rosters, event registration, member-only sites, and public facing webpages
- Assist department with producing written communications (e.g., newsletters, issue briefs, research reports, industry articles, call notes, etc.) for members and reporting responsibilities (i.e., proofreading, editing, and dissemination)
- Assist and provide administrative support for bi-annual RILA Government Affairs Committee (GAC) meetings each spring and fall, to include meeting logistics, reserving meeting space, sending invitations and day of event execution.
- Assist and provide administrative support for scheduled GAC virtual conference calls including logistics, invitations, and conference technology
- Ensure government affairs content, including letters, articles, or other written and digital material is coordinated with the communications team
- Collect and disseminate daily news clips
- Conduct legislative and political research for the public affairs team
- Monitor and notify department of congressional and executive branch schedules for activities of interest to RILA members, (i.e., hearings, briefings or conferences)
- Provide general office support including designated time staffing the front desk and answering phones
- Keep up to date and stay educated on current RILA issues
- Proactively identify opportunities for resource and internal process improvements
- Curiosity and a desire to learn and grow in the position
- Work experience in a corporate, nonprofit/association or similar office environment desired but not required
- Writing, proofreading and project management experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Strong operational skills, with the ability to effectively work both collaboratively with our team and independently
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, without compromising quality of work
- Flexibility and willingness to change and adapt with the fast-paced retail industry
- Demonstrated interest in public affairs
- Degree desired but not required
- Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage (FSA/HSA options available)
- Employer sponsored Life Insurance, STD and LTD Coverage
- 401 (K) Retirement Plan with Employer Match
- Flexible Paid Time Off + 11 Federal holidays
- Professional development opportunities
- Team outings/gatherings
RILA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.
The safety and wellbeing of our team members is the highest priority for RILA. The organization is currently working 100% remote, and onboarding for this position will be conducted virtually. Timing of full-scale reopening of RILA’s Washington DC office has not yet been finalized, so applicant flexibility is appreciated.
Thank you for your interest in RILA’s coordinator position! In order to be considered for the role, please be sure to submit the following requested and required documents:
2. In place of a traditional Cover Letter, submit an introductory letter or statement (less than 1 page) telling us about yourself and why you’re applying for the role—what excites you about this position, in what kind of workplace culture do you thrive, what you’re looking for in a job, or any other information that would help us get to know you better.
We look forward to reviewing your information!
-The RILA Team
Job posted: 2021-03-12