Coordinator, Public Relations
If you’re passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country—and you’re committed to working hard to play your part in building that future—consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
The Communications Coordinator will work with the Director of External Communications to develop, implement, and track the effectiveness of WGU’s communications strategies and initiatives.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities include:
Writing articles, press releases, and blog content that drive messaging around WGU’s key initiatives. Updating and maintaining all aspects of WGU’s Newsroom. Monitoring, sharing, and archiving daily news clips. Monitoring and sharing higher ed news and identifying placement opportunities when able. Assisting with writing and gathering information for award submissions, speaking events (such as conferences), and other special projects—which may include submitting submissions and conference proposals. Assisting with all aspects of the press release distribution process. Researching and identifying opportunities for placement of press releases and announcements. Keeping PR contracts organized and up to date. Assisting with and identifying student/graduate stories for media opportunities. Maintaining all administrative responsibilities of the External Communications team. Weekly updating the DAM Archive (print, online, radio, TV clips) Updating and developing media lists, both print and online. Working closely with WGU’s marketing team to support new degree launches, partnerships, events, and other marketing initiatives. Assisting with social media content for WGU’s channels as well as thought leaders’ channels, as needed. Creating and maintaining reports that track effectiveness of communications strategies and tactics. Supporting the External Communications team and broader Policy & Public Affairs team with projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite required, with an emphasis on Excel.
- Demonstrated skill and ability in the use of social media, including Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Excellent collaboration and customer service skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all external audiences as well as WGU staff at all levels.
- Outstanding writing skills and ability to write effectively for different audiences.
- Understanding of and ability to develop relationships with media.
- Ability to conceptualize projects and maintain multiple priorities.
- Ability to perform creative writing and related activities such as conducting interviews, research, and editing.
- Ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in a fast-paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to understand and interpret information accurately.
- Ability to communicate accurately and concisely.
- Ability to influence others positively.
- Ability to initiate creative and innovative promotional ideas.
- Display a competent and confident professional demeanor.
- Must be organized and eager to learn.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Public Relations, Communications, or related field
- 1-3 years of experience working in a public relations assignment, including internships
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
This is a university made for a new kind of student. At WGU, our focus is on the success of our students and our graduates. What kind of university will give the busy adult student of the 21st century—unique, dedicated, and driven—the best chance for success? One that values those qualities and puts them to work. We’re the first university where all bachelor’s and master’s degrees are competency-based, with curriculum designed in partnership with leading employers. We’re nonprofit, driven entirely by a mission to serve students—in fact, it’s right there in our name. We’re called Western Governors University because we were created by a group of U.S. governors, an innovative solution to their states’ demand for high-quality, outcomes-oriented higher education.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-17