Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Corporate Social Responsibility Manager
Bigelow Tea is the number one specialty tea company in the United States. We are a family-owned and operated business and a Certified B Corporation. Being a certified B Corp officially recognizes a commitment that has been part of the company’s DNA since it was founded over 75 years ago. Our purpose has always been about much more than making profits. We are committed to good citizenship, ethical business practices, accountability, transparency, protecting the environment, sustainability and supporting our communities. We pride ourselves in caring about each and every one of our employees. We have a long-term outlook and are constantly working to create an environment that inspires people to make positive contributions every day. Bigelow is currently looking for a select, talented individual, that shares our values, to join our growing team.
DEPARTMENT MISSION STATEMENT
Drive our strong commitment to sustainability and social responsibility by continually seeking and incorporating best practices as well as sharing our actions with both our internal and external stakeholders.
SUMMARY: This position reports to the VP of Human Resources and will operate cross functionally across all departments. The role is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day CSR activities at all facilities. Develops and implements sustainability programs to reduce negative impacts on the environment.
Strategic Thinking and Goal Development
- Develops Corporate Responsibility goals, strategies, and initiatives, as well as maintains KPIs that support the overall company strategic plan. Develops and assesses viability of strategies meant to support conservation, increase usage of renewable resources, improve efficiency, or reduce energy costs or wasteful output.
- Functions as primary contact for all sustainability related issues for the company.
- Offers informational and strategic guidance and advice to Executive Committee, Management Council, Green Team and others in the company on trending sustainability initiatives and topics.
- Identifies external sustainability relationships and educational opportunities across the industry to stay current on industry/market trends to build future CSR initiatives.
- Utilizes knowledge and expertise to develop potential sustainability opportunities for the company to pursue.
- Responsible for maintaining our B Corp certification and leading our efforts for recertification as required (currently every three years).
- Is the liaison between Bigelow and B Lab.
- Updates the Executive team on our B Corp certification, promotes awareness with our employees and attends external meetings relevant to B Corp.
Greening and Sustainability
- Develops a comprehensive annual sustainability plan in concert with representatives of related departments covering energy use, waste reduction, carbon footprint and employee engagement.
- Drives sustainability and greening initiatives throughout the company.
- Annually conducts carbon footprint/greenhouse gas emissions analysis and works with appropriate resources needed to review it. Analyze areas of impact and gain support from internal stakeholders for crafting a footprint reduction strategy.
- Responsible for developing internal and external communications to pursue appropriate public relations, marketing, social media, recognition & awards to acknowledge Bigelow Tea’s efforts.
- Maintain and ensure Green-e Certification of 100% Renewable energy.
- Manages Green team: Selection of cross functional members who are responsible for leading and promoting sustainability efforts in the facilities and throughout the company, educate employees through events such as Earth Day, lunch and learns and other communications.
- Coordinates community related projects and events.
- Accountable for the development and communication of employee information programs, including overseeing postings on SharePoint, incentive programs, planning, and executing in-person events and delivering presentations.
- Increase employee awareness of their role and impact on the company’s sustainability efforts.
- Looks for opportunities involving employee volunteer programs that support the community with reasonable time commitments that do not disrupt work responsibilities.
- Serve as internal expert and external representative on CSR issues. Benchmark’s competition and industry best practices.
- Builds effective relationships with senior executives and cross-functional teams furthering Bigelow Tea’s CSR commitment, while championing them within their departments.
- Craft CSR plans and work with internal stakeholders to implement them. Manage and track goals and metrics.
- Manage CSR reporting process, working with senior management and all departments collecting sustainability data.
- Take primary responsibility for developing and maintaining digital portals in coordination with appropriate internal function.
- Participate in CSR organizations events, attend conferences, classes and seminars to understand best practices.
- Consults with vendors, customers, and others on how they can further their CSR initiatives.
TEAM ALIGNMENT AND DEVELOPMENT
- Leads initiatives that model, support, and drive the company values throughout the organization.
- Create a common vision of CSR related matters at all levels in the company.
- Identify awareness, educational and coaching needs within the company and develop communication and education strategies to support.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and/or mentoring to other departments, oversees green team and leads initiatives to increase employee awareness of company CR objectives.
LEADERSHIP SKILLS REQUIRED
- Strategic, visionary
- Excellent Communication and Collaboration skills
- Ability to translate experience in all areas of Corporate Responsibility into meaningful programs.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work with a high degree of latitude and handle multiple projects and deadlines.
- Highly developed presentation skills for corporate and industry related events
- Extensive knowledge and experience in CSR practices and policies.
- Ability to formulate CSR programing that links to marketing campaigns and strategies,
- Strategic thinking; experience in driving innovative thinking and staying in front of trends and the changing environment.
- Has established relationships in CSR and the ability to develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proven team player that has strong collaborative skills who can build and maintain constructive relationships.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Well versed in mentoring, training, and coaching with colleagues in the company.
DIRECT REPORTING POSITIONS: N/A
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS Preferred, or related experience. Five (5+) years of experience in Corporate Responsibility or business.
- 10% Domestic and international as needed.
Bigelow Tea is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bigelow Tea does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-14