Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Corporate Sustainability – Corporate Greenhouse Gas Strategy Manager
Requisition Number: 57267
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 170 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. Today, Corning’s products help clean the air we breathe, connect people to information and each other, and support the discovery and delivery of the medical breakthroughs. Scope of Position: This position will be instrumental to reducing the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of Corning, a major, global glass, and ceramics manufacturer, and helping to keep global warming below 1.5oC. Corning’s greenhouse gas reduction efforts are important to a wide range of our stakeholders, including our people, our partners, our investors, and the communities in which we operate. Based on models of future growth and emissions, Corning has adopted goals to reduce Scope 1&2 emissions by 30% and Scope 3 emissions by 17.5%, each by 2028. These goals align Corning with the Paris Climate Agreement and we have submitted them for approval to the Science Based Targets initiative. Corning has developed plans to meet these goals and we have begun to implement those plans. We seek a professional experienced in GHG accounting and reduction strategies to oversee our GHG reduction efforts from a corporate vantage point. Examples of these efforts include: working with our Global Energy Management, business, and local manufacturing teams to increase our use of renewable electricity globally; supporting our businesses in increasing the percentage of our products covered by Lifecycle Assessments; leading the creation of tools to estimate embodied GHGs in new products and innovations; ensuring use of consistent and transparent accounting practices for reporting GHGs; quantifying our cost to reduce GHGs, thereby enhancing our corporate prioritization of such efforts; working with businesses to communicate value propositions for our low-GHG products; leading development of systems to assign GHGs & renewable energy to specific products and customers; working with our Global Supply Management organization to quantify our suppliers’ GHGs and find ways to reduce the GHGs in the products and services we purchase. In short, this position will be Corning’s global expert on our greenhouse gases and strategies and be an action-oriented leader in our efforts to reduce our GHG emissions
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Lead, evolve, and communicate Corning’s global GHG emission strategy, including tracking metrics and actions
• Work with business unit and function Sustainability leaders to enhance understanding of our GHG emissions, our actions and opportunities to reduce them, and our progress toward GHG reduction goals
• Use existing tools and, where necessary, lead development and maintenance of new analytical tools, to track GHG emissions and goal progress
• Work with Accounting, Control, and Reporting to ensure GHG information reported internally and externally is accurate and GHG reporting systems are consistent and transparent
• Develop analytical tools to measure the economics of Corning’s GHGs, including relative costs/benefits of reducing GHGs in specific ways (e.g., increasing use of renewable electricity vs. paying suppliers more for products with lower embodied GHGs).
Travel Requirements: • 5-15%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: • Monday – Friday, standard business hours with opportunities for flexibility as required.
• BS or BA required,
• MA or similar strongly preferred
• Candidates with PhD will be favored
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• 7+ years in environmental accounting or related field
• Environmental accounting (e.g., Life cycle assessments, EHS measurement) or related experience
• Strong analytic capabilities (e.g., modeling & forecasting, basic regressions, and statistics; basic linear algebra helpful, but not necessary)
• Fluency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, PowerPoint, preferably Word
Desired Experience / Qualifications / Skills:
• Experience in completing multiple Lifecycle assessments
• Understanding/experience with (a) renewable electricity sourcing, (b) supply chain emission management, or both
• Familiarity with GHG accounting tools (e.g., Gensuite, Intelex, Enablon)
• Familiarity with Enterprise Resource Management (ERM) tools like SAP
• Experience or familiarity with Korea, Taiwan, PRC helpful
• Able to communicate effectively with C-suite level leadership
• Ability to move groups of disparate stakeholders to a consensus outcome
• Experience with creating definition for projects with open design requirements
This position does not support immigration sponsorship. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other legally protected status.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-11-12