Counsel, FDA Regulatory Compliance and Government Affairs
THIS IS BLUE APRON
Chefs around the world wear blue aprons when learning to cook, and for us it has become a symbol of lifelong learning. Our highly motivated group of food enthusiasts are inspired to work on complex business problems with creativity and passion, always looking to learn something new. We take preparation seriously, embrace a spirit of excellence, and put in the extra effort in everything we do. We are thrilled to be part of our customers’ lives, cooking and creating experiences in their home kitchens.
WHO’S IN THE KITCHEN
Blue Apron is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded and self-motivated attorney to serve as the Legal team’s primary advisor on regulatory affairs and compliance, with the primary focus on food regulatory matters. The ideal candidate has 5-8 years of proven regulatory experience in the food industry, as well as general government affairs experience.
This position will provide day-to-day support for teams across the business, with a focus on food regulatory compliance, general legislative and government affairs, food safety, advertising and marketing, and a wide array of other commercial and regulatory issues that arise from the operation of a complex, fast-paced e-commerce organization. The role will interface with key stakeholders of the Blue Apron business team to manage, negotiate and execute on a broad range of regulatory, commercial and operational initiatives and and strategic priorities. This position is based in New York City.
WHAT’S ON THE MENU
- Overseeing and advising on all federal, state and local regulatory and compliance matters related to operating a multi-site e-commerce food and wine business, including compliance with Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other federal, state and local laws and regulations, regulatory filings, inspections, and permitting and licensing requirements, in close collaboration with Senior Director of Regulatory Affairs, General Counsel, and other members of the Legal team.
- Reviewing and approving promotional, advertising and marketing materials, including websites, social media, print and digital advertising, and other marketing and promotional materials (including sweepstakes and contests) to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Overseeing the enforcement of regulatory guidelines, strategies, and policies related to the business, including overseeing regulatory compliance on the wine business (including directing outside counsel).
- Monitoring and assessing pertinent regulatory developments and enforcement trends and advising on potential business impact.
- Supporting the Customer Experience team in managing customer inquiries and communications.
- Supporting the Quick Response Team to execute responses to product recalls or other regulatory inquiries.
- Counseling senior management and business teams on new or pending legislation, laws, rules and regulations and industry trends that may impact operations or food production.
- Support environmental and other government regulation compliance of Blue Apron’s fulfillment centers.
- Leading or assisting the Legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and refinement of appropriate forms, processes, policies and procedures with respect to various initiatives, including promotional review, regulatory outreach.
- Building close relationships with personnel at supported business operations and obtaining and maintaining a strong knowledge of the products and objectives of those operations.
- Managing and working with outside counsel as appropriate.
- Conducting periodic employee training on relevant matters.
- Engaging in or leading various other Legal projects and duties as needed, including due diligence and related support on strategic transactions, supporting commercial matters including agreements for promotional services, vendor, production, confidentiality, and other agreements.
- Providing substantive support for the rest of the Legal team as needed.
Education and Experience
- J.D. from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials and 5-8 years of relevant experience, including experience in private practice as a food regulatory attorney and preferably time spent in-house at a food company in roles of increasing responsibility.
- Extensive experience with legal and regulatory issues within the food industry is a must, and having experience with wine regulations and other government affairs matters is preferred.
- Experience interacting directly with the FDA, USDA and/or other federal or local food regulatory agencies is a significant plus.
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with a state bar and registered, or eligible to register, as in-house counsel with the State of New York. Familiarity with and working knowledge of food regulatory matters in the State of California, specifically CDFA and CA Prop 65 also required.
Interpersonal Skills and Competencies
The successful candidate must:
- Be passionate about food, wine and technology and energized by the challenges of serving a young, dynamic company
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches his or her IQ, and the ability to collaborate and engage effectively with all levels of employees, management and commercial business partners
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team and with internal clients
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results
SUBMIT: Please submit a resume, as well as a cover letter explaining your reasons for pursuing this opportunity and why you are the right candidate for this role and Blue Apron.
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-16