Counsel III-Government Relations
- Analyzes the impact of state and federal legislative and regulatory proposals on Kaiser Permanente. Provides policy, legal and strategic counsel to KP’s state and federal Government Relations professionals.
- Assists in the formulation of Kaiser Permanente’s public policy positions. Provides advice, analysis and strategic direction to senior leadership, including the Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and Permanente Medical Groups, functional business units and the Regions on the legislative and regulatory environment relating to public policy issues impacting Kaiser Permanente.
- Convenes and leads working groups of Kaiser Permanente experts on specific areas relating to health policy or operations in response to pending legislation, regulation or other health policy issues that may arise. Demonstrated ability to understand the details of these issues and develop a strategic, politically sound organizational position that is supported by our internal experts.
- Represents the Program in government and industry meetings and other public forums. Advocates for other stakeholders and constituencies in the industry to take positions consistent with KP’s policies, when appropriate.
- Provides counsel to management regarding federal and state statutes, regulations, court opinions, administrative procedures and legal proposals. Advises senior executives and leadership on complex legal issues which have a significant impact to the organization.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience as an attorney in a law firm or company, or in government in one or more legal specialties.
- Minimum three (3) years of directly related experience in legislative, regulatory or government relations, either federal, or with a state in which Kaiser Permanente has a presence, analyzing and drafting legislation/amendments or regulations required.
- J.D. required.
- Licensure to include membership in a local Bar Association.
- Excellent written and verbal advocacy skills.
- Excellent analytical and interpretive skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to effectively provide strategic and tactical counsel to KP leadership.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- In-depth knowledge of legislative or regulatory process.
- Expertise in managed care regulation, healthcare policy, and/or /Medicaid.
- Knowledge of healthcare industry.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Job posted: 2021-07-06