Crisis Communications Specialist
MPC is seeking a Crisis Communications Specialist to advance the development and execution of the Crisis Communications program for the enterprise. The successful candidate will work across corporate functions and business units in developing, implementing and maintaining a robust Crisis Communications program, throughout the company’s areas of operation to ensure that, in the event of a crisis situation, MPC is able to move quickly to communicate and respond appropriately to stakeholders and meet and exceed regulatory requirements for emergency management. The role requires a high level of collaboration across the company with business leadership and subject matter experts. PLEASE NOTE – This position may be based in Findlay, OH or San Antonio, TX.
- Lead the continued development of a robust Crisis Communications program for the company to effectively support incident or emergency management and limit the overall impact on the business and its stakeholders.
- Lead the development of crisis communications training plans and processes with a focus on preparing all relevant staff with capability to perform the Public Information Officer (PIO) function in the event of an emergency or incident.
- Develop crisis communications plans and processes consistent with requirements of the National Incident Management System (NIMS).
- Develop and refine crisis communications messaging consistent with company values.
- Develop and coordinate PIO training and tabletop exercises with regional and local incident management teams and key stakeholder groups.
- Perform the lead or support PIO role in the event of an emergency or incident.
- Monitor and research national and industry current events and emerging issues that have the potential to develop into crisis communications situations; adjust or prepare plans accordingly.
- Develop and maintain cross-organizational relationships companywide to remain informed about internal events or emerging issues that have the potential to develop into crisis communications situations; adjust or prepare plans accordingly.
- Conduct and manage crisis communications-related analytics and report relevant metrics to key stakeholders.
- Develop new resources and collateral for internal and external communications channels during crisis incidents; assess and build out role of social media during crisis response.
- Drive awareness around crisis communications with leaders and employees engaged in the corporate emergency response process.
- Interface and collaborate with a variety of internal organizations to understand their crisis communications risks, needs, and capabilities.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with local, state and federal regulatory agencies.
- Utilize industry best practices to support MPC’s crisis communications strategy; research, adapt and implement emerging trends and best practices related to crisis management.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 6 years of crisis management in a corporate setting OR a substantive blend of field and corporate / government experience.
- Strong project and program management capabilities.
- Significant crisis management skills and experience.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Experience with crisis communications and responding to sensitive and escalating situations in an assuring manner.
- Experience with National Incident Management System (NIMS) and standardized approaches such as Incident Command System (ICS) and Joint Information Center (JIC).
- Proven judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and remain calm and thoughtful during emergencies.
- Ability to build consensus among multiple constituencies and interact effectively at all levels.
- Energy industry experience and familiarity with Jetty are desirable, but not required.
About Marathon Petroleum Corporation
Marathon Petroleum Corporation is a leading, integrated, downstream energy company headquartered in Findlay, Ohio. The company operates the nation’s largest refining system with more than 3 million barrels per day of crude oil capacity across 16 refineries. Marathon Petroleum’s marketing system includes branded locations across the United States, including Marathon branded outlets. Speedway LLC, a Marathon Petroleum subsidiary, owns and operates retail convenience stores across the United States. MPC also owns the general partner and majority limited partner interest in MPLX LP, a midstream company which owns and operates gathering, processing, and fractionation assets, as well as crude oil and light product transportation and logistics infrastructure.
Travel Expected: up to 25%
Marathon Petroleum Company LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition or AIDS/HIV status, ancestry, national origin, genetic information, military, veteran status, marital status, citizenship or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, click here.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process at Marathon Petroleum LP, please contact our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify the reasonable accommodation you are requesting, along with the job posting number in which you may be interested. A Human Resources representative will review your request and contact you to discuss a reasonable accommodation.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-03