Data Science Director – Commercial, Medical and Government Affairs (CMG)
The Data Science team lead in Strategic Analytics & Intelligence leads a team that acts as the Center of Excellence for the Commercial Data Science capability. SAI Data Science works across CMG to develop strategic and holistic solutions that span the portfolio by identifying and leading innovative analytic projects & pilots to enable GNE to deliver for our customers.
Function Background: SAI is a functional department within Genentech Business Operations (GBO). Our Strategic Analytics & Intelligence (SAI) team isn’t just deciphering data. We’re here to help solve the world’s most complex healthcare challenges and improve the lives of patients.
With a mix of competitive intelligence, market research, data analytics, access, and forecasting, SAI unlocks key insights for our internal partners that ultimately benefit healthcare providers and patients. Even if you’ve never worked in biotech, you’ll establish yourself as an expert alongside other specialists. Plus, you can gain new experiences across marketing disciplines, therapeutic areas, and commercial operations. The entire time, you’ll be surrounded by a diverse and inclusive team that reflects the world we serve.
The SAI Data Science (DS) Team will function as:
- Advanced Analytics Innovation: (DS should be pulled in by SAI Ecosystem or BU teams, DCX or other functions, to provide advice or deep subject matter expertise on work product teams and projects in these areas). DS may also initiate work in these areas either to experiment/innovate or to meet an identified business need, working with the appropriate partners from across the organization, for example:
- Predictive analytics (machine learning/AI)
- Natural Language Processing
- Defined Portfolio Analytics: DS will help identify and support in areas where standardization, automation or centrally owned frameworks can drive significant efficiencies or improve effectiveness.
- Center of Excellence for the Commercial Data Science capability. In this capacity:
- Recruits & develops strong data science SMEs, who can be drawn upon for advice giving and/or participation in projects, experiments, or WPTs that require advanced data science expertise, in order to both apply the necessary capability and to gain the full context of what is intended to solve and how to make solutions actionable.
- Enable the data science capability within Commercial (defines the use cases and requirements for the CMG data science technology stack). Proactively defines future opportunities where DS capabilities can be applied to result in practical, actionable solutions.
- Supports capability building (training, tools, and advice giving) for teams where distributed data science talent is required (e.g. SAI squad-facing teams, ecosystem facing teams, Finance).
- Actively participates in the commercial data science CoP, as well as Roche data science CoP, RAAN, and external networks (e.g. conferences), to help create a community where data scientists embedded in non-data science teams across commercial can come together to share best practices and enhance their skills.
While DS is not designed/resourced to centralize all work on all projects that fit these criteria (either due to bandwidth concerns in DS or because the relevant capabilities are already on the team), advice should be sought from this team when work fitting this description is initiated to connect the WPT members with relevant resources and ensure learnings are captured for the benefit of future projects.
The SAI Data Science team lead is responsible for creating a vision and strategic plan for the Data Science team. To do this, he or she is responsible for working across CMG to ensure that leaders are aware of and able to leverage the value that DS brings, working with other CMG functional leaders who have distributed data science talent, to understand their needs and connect them to the resources of the COE, and to ensure that the resourcing and capabilities of the DS team are aligned with current and future needs.
- Lead and coach DS team
- Understand business priorities and shape team and capability action plans to maximize contributions to our CMG mission & vision
- Partner on service execution, performance, and key platforms to ensure a high functioning data science environment in CMG
- Lend subject matter expertise as a leader or member of WPTs across the organization which combine the need for a deep command of data analysis and business trends (which often facilitates/requires back of envelope/judgment instead of deep analysis), with a need to influence and guide objectively and at a high level
- 10+ years of relevant work experience with Bachelors; 9+ years of work experience with Masters; 8+ years of work experience with PhD/JD, preferably within pharmaceutical or biotech industry (commercial or clinical) and/or management consulting
- 4+ years experience managing people preferred, with a proven track in people development, coaching for results and leading cross-functional teams within a matrix organization. Experience managing through layers preferred.
- Experience working with large complex data and corresponding query / programming languages such as R, Python or SQL plus experience with Big Data and cloud technologies such as Hadoop and AWS preferred
- Strong knowledge of secondary data sources including syndicated sales, promotional & marketing data, longitudinal patient level data; experience with payer data is preferred
- Considerable experience and expertise with statistical modeling, analysis and presentation of results to a non-technical audience
- Experience with field force analytics, including customer segmentation, targeting, and promotional response measurements preferred
- Demonstrated skill with translating complex technical analyses and concepts into business stories for non technical audiences
- Experience planning and allocating tactical and budget planning resources, including headcount and outside spend in order to best meet the business need, improve customer experience, and advance innovation within own scope of domain
- Demonstrated experience creating a vision and strategic plans that influence department initiatives
- PhD or Master’s degree in Business, Economics, Statistics, Mathematics, Physical Sciences or related field is required. Bachelor’s degree may be considered sufficient for applicants with more extensive work experience.
- Hands-on work experience with large complex data sets, programming languages such as R, Python or SQL and Big Data technology, statistical modeling, and translation of results to a non-technical audience preferred.
- Significant commercial, strategic experience required, biopharmaceutical experience preferred
- Business travel, by air or car, is required for regular internal and external business meetings
- Complies with all laws, regulations, policies and procedures that govern the conduct of Genentech activities.
Who We Are
Genentech, a member of the Roche group and founder of the biotechnology industry, is dedicated to pursuing groundbreaking science to discover and develop medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. To solve the world’s most complex health challenges, we ask bigger questions that challenge our industry and the boundaries of science to transform society. Our transformational discoveries include the first targeted antibody for cancer and the first medicine for primary progressive multiple sclerosis.
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) are critical to the success of our company and our impact on society. We believe that by championing diversity of background, thought and experience, we can foster a sense of belonging and provide an environment where every employee feels valued, included, and able to contribute their best for the patients we serve. We’re focused on attracting, retaining, developing and advancing our people to their full potential by rewarding bold ways of thinking and integrating inclusive behaviors into every aspect of our work.
The next step is yours. To apply today, click on the “Apply for this job” button.
Genentech is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status. For more information about equal employment opportunity, visit our Genentech Careers page.
Job posted: 2021-01-26