Democracy Campaigner (Remote based in North Carolina)
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for five decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in more than 70 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
To accomplish our mission, Friends of the Earth’s Program teams develop and implement campaigns at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
We seek a dynamic, collaborative, and motivated person to implement a program dedicated to fighting voter suppression and advancing environmental justice in North Carolina, including organizing trainings and mapmaking workshops for the 2021 redistricting process. In particular, FOE is working with a coalition to win an Independent Redistricting Commission (IRC) in the state, and aims to contribute to the 2021 redistricting process in a way that advances public participation and racial and partisan equity.
- In partnership with VP of Programs, implement and execute FOE’s democracy program in North Carolina
- Educate, build and mobilize a constituency for an IRC and for fair 2021 political maps through designing and implementing workshops and trainings, particularly with environmental justice communities in eastern North Carolina
- Organize and empower grassroots allies and supporters to provide input into the 2021 redistricting process, including through oral and written testimony.
- Collaborate closely with state allies to strategically advance democracy reform initiatives in North Carolina, particularly the establishment of an IRC
- Engage with, strengthen, and represent Friends of the Earth in diverse coalitions, especially at the state level
- Research and develop public education and campaign materials on key democracy reform priorities and environmental issues.
- Represent Friends of the Earth in the media, among policymakers and the public to support campaign objectives and reach key audiences
- Support the implementation of FOE’s national democracy work through collaborating with the Democracy Initiative (including representing FOE at DI Anchor Group meetings and preparing the President of FOE for DI Board and Principals meetings)
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- Three-five (3-5) years of non-governmental organization campaigning or organizing experience
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills, and ability to work with diverse groups of people
- Excellent written communication skills and comfort with presenting material to a wide range of audiences, including the public, the press, businesses, and government officials.
- Able and willing to travel within North Carolina and the U.S.
- All candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. FOE does not sponsor any employment related visas.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in new and/or changing situations
- Experience in convening, organizing and coordinating groups
- Able to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- High degree of professional initiative, flexibility and accountability
- Passion for democracy reform and environmental issues
- Background in environmental and/or democracy reform
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-28