Deputy Chief of Staff (Executive Office)
Who we are:
At the nonprofit Urban Institute, we believe in the power of evidence to improve lives and strengthen communities. Our employees are empowered to open minds, shape decisions and offer solutions. We encourage intellectual honesty, innovation, diversity, and mutual respect, and our analysis elevates the debate, wherever it takes place.
Urban’s greatest asset is our people. We strive to attract and cultivate a vibrant, creative, and diverse community. Our employees drive Urban’s mission through entrepreneurship, innovation, leadership, effective communication, results-orientation, and relationship cultivation. Our success depends on engaging individuals who possess and value these attributes.
The Urban Institute is exploring promising solutions to advance equity and upward mobility in the decades ahead. As such, Urban is committed to bringing reliable evidence to improve public policy and practice, strengthening communities, and transforming people’s lives for the better.
How you’ll contribute:
The Urban Institute is seeking Deputy Chief of Staff to support the Executive Office of the Urban Institute. This person will report to the Chief of Staff, and with a dotted line to Urban’s Senior Vice Presidents, to manage implementation of strategic priorities and help the Urban Institute live up to its mission and values. The Deputy Chief of Staff will be an exceptional communicator, who is adept at navigating complex internal dynamics and can develop a deep understanding of Urban’s work quickly. This person will be an essential member of the Executive Office team and be someone who Urban’s leadership can rely on to identify solutions and achieve goals.
Partner with the Chief of Staff to develop and implement strategic priorities pertaining to all parts of Urban’s work and workplace, including Urban’s framework for advancing racial equity in our culture, content, and climate.
Support institutional strategy development, tracking implementation of priorities and working with colleagues across Urban to ensure effective execution.
Manage Urban’s discretionary budget process, at direction of Urban’s Senior Vice Presidents and Chief of Staff to ensure that resources are aligned with priorities and that expenditures are having their intended outcomes.
Manage and optimize an infrastructure for advancing the development and supporting the growth of research and policy programs across Urban, leveraging Urban’s executive, fundraising, communications, and other capacities.
Build effective relationships with centers, business units, and senior leadership across the organization.
Serve as a flexible and adaptable advisor to Urban’s executive leadership, capable of jumping in to solve problems and advance solutions as needed.
Advance key priorities of the President, including preparing the president for external partnership engagement and managing programmatic follow up, as needed.
Manage special projects for the executive office as they arise.
What you’ll bring:
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate a track record of at least seven years of management and/or policy experience, with increasing levels of authority and responsibility over time
- Establish comfort adapting to rapidly shifting goals and priorities, a commitment to continuous improvement, and the ability to take the initiative and work quickly and creatively
- Have clear general policy knowledge, or specific knowledge of one or more domestic and/or economic policy domains, and the ability to communicate said expertise effectively in order to easily engage with experts on all topics
- Display strong organization, relationship management, and communication skills
- Demonstrate commitment to and experience with principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion at the institutional and interpersonal levels.
- Exhibit comfort with outcome-based budgeting and a knowledge of principles of project management and strategy development.
- Demonstrate experience managing a small team, while working effectively both as part of a group and independently
- Work successfully on multiple assignments while using strong organizational skills and maintaining close attention to detail
What you’ll experience:
Working in the Nation’s Capital, the epicenter of public policy among a network of policy experts, you can expect to have an impact on policy areas you care about and work with great colleagues who are smart, mission-driven, and collaborative. You will blend academic rigor with on-the-ground collaboration, be encouraged and supported to fulfill your potential through meaningful work that matters, and enjoy a welcoming workplace free from harassment, discrimination and intolerance.
In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage. Competitive paid time off allowance, and eligibility to participate in a generous retirement savings plan and reimbursable commuting expense program.
The Urban Institute is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under applicable law.
The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Women/Disabilities/
Job posted: 2021-02-02