Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Deputy Communications Director
States United Democracy Center, a nonpartisan organization focused on the critical role states play in election protection, is hiring a Deputy Communications Director to join its team.
The Deputy Communications Director will help lead States United’s Communications Department, which includes staff and consultants focused on messaging, earned, paid, and digital media. This role will report to the Communications Director and work closely with the organization’s executive team, policy, legal, state engagement, and research departments.
The Deputy Communications Director will support the development and execution of States United’s long-term and day-to-day communications strategy, including overseeing projects, digital assets, media outreach, messaging research and development, key stakeholder support, and media training. The Deputy Communications Director will manage projects and staff. This position will be integral to strengthening the Communications and Digital team ahead of the 2024 election cycle.
About the Organization:
States United Democracy Center/States United Action is a new and growing nonpartisan organization advancing free, fair, and secure elections. We focus on connecting state officials, law enforcement leaders, and pro-democracy partners across America with the tools and expertise they need to safeguard our democracy. States United engages in legal and policy actions to protect our elections and democracy. During the 2020 election, then as the Voter Protection Program, we quickly became a go-to resource for state leaders, the press, and partner organizations. By bringing together current and former governors, secretaries of state, attorneys general, and law enforcement leaders for the first time, we helped build a nonpartisan firewall against those trying to undermine democracy. Now as States United, we support these partners in protecting the integrity of elections, holding those who seek to undermine democracy accountable, and preventing acts of political violence.
- Work closely with the Communications Director, and other department leaders to develop and implement both short-term and long-term communications strategy.
- Help manage a team of 6+ press, digital, content, and general communication staff members.
- Manage and oversee communications projects and programs, including campaigns around priority issues and development of public-facing resources.
- Serve as a manager of communication consultants and vendor relationships.
- Help provide guidance and support on organizational digital strategy and tactics, as well as digital components of integrated communication projects.
- Help oversee better integration of digital and press tactics, including overseeing an editorial calendar for the organization, and identifying/managing daily rapid response opportunities and helping implement solutions quickly and without error.
- Support press outreach, cultivating and maintaining relationships with reporters, producers, correspondents, and editors.
- Edit and/or draft digital materials, resources and explainers, statements, and op-eds and shepherd through approval process as needed.
- Help lead organizational profile building efforts, including identifying and supporting thought leadership opportunities and message training for key staff.
- Support the development of key processes for external materials including approval process, internal communications, and landscape monitoring.
- Support States United leadership, including advisory board members, in prep for interviews, events, and conferences.
- Serve as a crisis communication advisor for States United and assist in managing rapid-response situations impacting the organization, clients, and key stakeholders.
- Assist executive team and other departments with written materials including talking points, memos, backgrounders, and other assignments.
- Work to ensure consistent branding of materials across all platforms and adherence to State United style guide.
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant experience in communications work with a proven track record of executing high quality work in a fast-paced campaign environment, including a minimum of two (2) years in a role with staff and/or project management and a minimum of two (2) years in a role with staff and/or project management.
- Experience with client and/or principal management.
- Experience leading communications projects in a rapid response environment with shifting priorities.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, specifically communicating complex policy ideas in an accessible and relatable style that engages audiences’ understanding.
- Excellent project management skills, including experience managing complex communication campaigns with press, digital, and creative components.
- Experience working with diverse communities and committed to acting on the belief that bipartisanship is a critical component of our work.
- Ability to work collaboratively and nimbly with colleagues in a demanding environment.
- Solutions-oriented and has an excellent ability to quickly bring life to ideas by leveraging and partnering with resources, network, and/or colleagues to drive results.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense, and good listening ability.
- Experience working on issues of election protection, voting rights, and/or democracy protection strongly preferred.
We welcome and encourage individuals to apply even if they do not have all or any of the desired qualifications listed above.
Compensation + Benefits:
Annual salary will be between $100,000 and $130,000 and commensurate to experience.
States United Democracy Center offers generous benefits including 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental plans plus matching retirement plans.
Our offices are based in Boston, MA and Washington, D.C. This position will include flexibility to be remote.
States United Democracy Center is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-05-01