Deputy Communications Director
The Deputy Communications Director assists the Communications Director in providing effective communications with the media, constituents and general public for the Governors team.
Nature and Scope
The Deputy Communications Director reports to the Communications Director on a day-to-day basis. Due to the nature of these assignments and continuing interaction with the news media, constituents and the general public, the Deputy Communications Director must use tact at all times. Assignments are diverse in nature and often have conflicting time priorities, requiring him or her to work independently, manage tight schedules and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
As media relations is a part of the job, the Deputy Communications Director must have excellent communication skills and keep constantly abreast of the governor’s agenda and events impacting the state.
The ideal candidate for Deputy Communications Director will possess the following skills:
- Ability to write clearly and concisely
- Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) grammar style
- Background in journalism as a reporter
- Knowledge and understanding of state politics and issues and how they impact the governor’s priorities
- Experience using social media (Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat)
- Ability to produce press releases and other written documents on a deadline
- Ability to take quality photographs at press conferences and community events
- Ability to research and review data for trends
- Experience using Microsoft Office, Publisher, Adobe Photoshop
- Assist the Communications Director in researching, developing and drafting speeches, letters, opinion pieces and other printed communications for governor.
- Write press releases for the governor.
- Work with the Communications Director to write and format electronic newsletters (including articles, briefs and photos) for the governor.
- Maintain an archive of media publications and print/television coverage the governor.
- Assist with the setting up and coordination of various media events, including: interviews, news briefings, speeches, talk shows, etc.
Interested applicants need to go to birddogrecruitment.com on the candidate tab and submit a resume.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Job posted: 2019-09-16