Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Deputy Director, Federal Affairs
Position Description: The Deputy Director of Federal Affairs works with the Chief of Advocacy and Practice Transformation to advance AACAP’s federal policy agenda through direct and grassroots lobbying, policy development, coalition building, communications and AACAP-PAC development and supervision. This position may supervise staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establish and nurture relationships with Members of Congress, Administration leadership, and relevant federal agency leadership.
- Identify and analyze federal legislation and regulation pertinent to AACAP government relations priorities.
- Research and draft correspondence, reports, papers and articles on legislative and regulatory issues for a variety of audiences. Arrange direct contacts between AACAP members and members of Congress, Administration officials, agency leadership and/or staff, as appropriate.
- Develop materials for meetings with federal policy makers and staff.
- Seek opportunities for AACAP members to engage with federal policy makers, including but not limited to meetings between AACAP members and Members of Congress, participation in Congressional hearings and briefings, and participation in federal task force/expert panels.
- Organize AACAP’s Legislative Conference, Hill briefings, and other departmental campaigns aimed at special legislative goals and targeted AACAP policies and programs.
- Represent AACAP at political and public policy events.
- Represent AACAP with allied organizations and coalitions.
- Promote joint activities with other AACAP departments.
Public Policy Development and Advocacy
- Support AACAP committees in revising existing AACAP policy position statements and/or the development of new position statements.
- Support Advocacy Committee in policy priority setting and coordination of advocacy campaigns and communication.
- Support regular member communication regarding advocacy and policy development activities and opportunities.
- Support AACAP AMA delegates’ participation in AMA House of Delegates meetings, policy development and coalition building.
- With Chief of Advocacy, regularly report policy and advocacy updates to AACAP Council/Board.
- Oversee management of AACAP-PAC including:
- Supporting AACAP-PAC board in developing and implementing giving and fundraising strategies, training, and AACAP-PAC Board programming and communication.
- Managing development of fundraising materials, AACAP-PAC reports and communications for internal and external audiences, and donor recognition strategies.
- Support PAC Board communications with AACAP Council and relevant member committee leadership.
- Represent AACAP PAC at fundraising events.
- Ensure compliance with all FEC regulations, reporting requirements, and federal laws.
- Coordinate and maintain PAC receipts and disbursements with Finance Department.
- Collaborate with Communications Department to promote AACAP-PAC campaigns, events, and donor recognition.
- Contribute and advise on committee projects
- Staff AACAP committees, Task Forces, Work Groups and any other projects or initiatives, as assigned.
- Manage government affairs-related activities for the AACAP’s Annual Meeting.
- Manage other activities, as assigned, for special meetings and initiatives under the direction of the Chief of Advocacy and Practice Transformation.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in political science, health policy, or similar education and experience with at least 5 years’ Hill experience and/or comparable association government relations experience.
- Demonstrated skills and proficiency in written and verbal communications.
- Experience working with department and/or executive office leadership.
- Experience managing a political action committee.
- Familiarity with child mental health issues and medicine preferred.
- Empathetic, open-minded, and inclusive.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, internet research and social media communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work within deadlines, multi-task and collaborate with other departments.
- Ability to supervise staff.
- Willingness to travel.
For full consideration, qualified candidates are encouraged to send resume and cover letter with salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2022-09-06