Deputy Director for Global Biological Policy and Programs
NTI is a non-profit whose mission is to transform global security by driving systemic solutions to nuclear and biological threats imperiling humanity.
NTI’s biosecurity program (NTI | bio) is seeking a Deputy Director to implement and coordinate NTI efforts related to reducing global biological threats. The Global Biological Policy Program supports the following activities:
· Curbing global catastrophic biological risks
· Combating biological risks posed by advances in technology
· Improving global biosecurity capability
· Enhancing domestic and international capacity to detect emerging, unknown, and/or unexpected biological threats
· Elucidating barriers to achieving rapid development and distribution of medical countermeasures for pandemic threats
· Catalyzing biosecurity innovation
· Advancing measurable international commitments to biosecurity, health security, and the Global Health Security Agenda
· Congressional outreach
Summary: This position provides leadership on international projects to reduce biological risks, enhance global biosafety, biosecurity and improve global health security. The Deputy Director will report to the NTI Vice President for Global Biological Policy and Programs and will be part of NTI’s senior staff and maintain significant authority over programming activities. The position will require regular domestic and international travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Leadership, Oversight, and Management:
- Serve as NTI | bio program Deputy Director, reporting to NTI | bio Vice President, including assisting with team management, senior representation, and budgeting/financing.
- Oversee and manage NTI | bio’s activities to reduce biological risks associated with advances in technology and catalyze biosecurity innovation.
- Represent NTI both domestically and internationally to support and promote program goals.
- Establish, promote, and communicate NTI’s vision and goals for reducing biological catastrophes, advancing international biosecurity and biosafety, and improving global health security.
- Collaborate, develop, and lead implementation projects within the NTI | bio program.
- Coordinate strategic planning for NTI’s mission to reduce biological catastrophes, advance international biosecurity and biosafety, and improve global health security. This includes:
- Identifying opportunities for engagement with senior officials and the public
- Developing and recommending new areas of work
- Establishing project priorities and goals
- Collaborating with NTI leadership and staff across the organization
- Drafting memos on relevant topics and activities for NTI leadership to ensure that engagements reflect the program’s goals and objectives.
- Assist with development, oversight and management of the NTI | bio budget, in cooperation with the Vice President for Global Biological Policy and programs,
· Coordinate external procurement of NTI | bio assistance to NTI, including: the identification, recruitment, administration, and oversight of consultants; and review and distribution of consultant products.
- Identify opportunities and develop grant proposals for funding of NTI | bio projects, and support the development, negotiation, and execution of NTI grants and contracts for NTI | bio.
- Develop and manage relationships and partnerships with other organizations and policy makers and experts globally and in the United States.
- Liaise and develop relationships and collaboration to advance NTI | bio objectives with key stakeholders in governments, industry, academia, and non-government organizations.
Substantive Expertise and Responsibility:
- Represent NTI as a subject matter expert on biological security and global health security topics at meetings and various international forums.
- Maintain high level of expertise on a broad range of biosecurity and health security topics, including developments in biotechnology and science, and contribute to NTI’s activities across program areas.
- As appropriate, provide substantive input and review of other NTI activities, including organizational strategic planning, written material, website content, speeches, and official correspondence to ensure correctness and credibility of NTI communications.
- Coordinate with NTI Communications team to develop outreach strategies that support NTI | bio projects and activities, including helping with development of messaging, talking points, and media outreach.
Candidates for the position of Deputy Director for Global Biological Policy and Programs should have:
- PhD or Masters’ Degree with equivalent experience in an area relevant to countering biological threats, including, but not limited to, biology/molecular biology, biotechnology, or another relevant field.
- 8 or more years of managerial or leadership experience, including in national security, international affairs, with the most of that time focused on biological or biosecurity policy and/or implementation.
· Proven ability to interact effectively with senior officials from the international and U.S. public and private sectors.
· Ability to travel internationally.
· Recognized subject matter expertise in biosecurity, global health security, and biotechnology risks, as well as with national and international security policies and programs.
· Demonstrated success in leading programs and managing projects, staff, and budgets.
· Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, collaborative, leadership, and management skills.
· Outstanding analytic, research, writing, and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Government experience implementing or overseeing policies related to biosecurity, biological threat reduction, global health security, and biotechnology security and safety-related matters.
- Experience with congressional outreach a plus.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
For consideration, please forward a cover letter, resume, two references, and a writing sample on a relevant topic to email@example.com. Subject line should read: NTI BIO DEPUTY DIRECTOR. Posting will remain open until filled.
Early application is encouraged.
NTI is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all background and identities to apply. All applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, familial status, family responsibilities, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, or any other quality or circumstance protected by Federal or D.C. law.
Job posted: 2021-03-25