Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Deputy Director, Grassroots Organizing
The National Association of Community Health Centers (NACHC) is the national membership organization for the nation’s federally qualified health centers (also known as FQHCs or Community Health Centers). Health centers are nonprofit, community-directed health clinics that provide access to high-quality, culturally competent, and comprehensive care to people living in medically underserved areas. NACHC strengthens the health center movement through advocacy, training, and technical assistance, clinical and operations support. NACHC is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
The Deputy Director of Grassroots Organizing is a member of NACHC’s National Grassroots Advocacy team. The Deputy Director will sustain and build on the momentum of the newly implemented grassroots organizing strategy in collaboration with Primary Care Associations (PCAs), Health Center Controlled Networks (HCCNs), and Community Health Centers (CHCs). The successful candidate will design and implement this strategy by providing regional coordination, tools, and strategic support to ensure access to affordable, quality, and equitable health care.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
1) Under the leadership of the Director of National Grassroots Advocacy, collaborate with NACHC’s public policy and research teams to build distributive leadership within the health center movement and increase education and mobilization of health centers related to NACHC’s advocacy issue campaigns.
- a)Assist with creation and implementation of tactics to increase the number of health center advocates and improve their participation in advocacy campaigns and initiatives.
- b)Work with the Grassroots Advocacy team to ensure advocacy communications and programs promote relational power and distributed leadership while also advancing the policy and funding priorities of NACHC.
2) Provide strategic coordination and support for the organizing reach of NACHC and partnerships with the state associations, health center controlled networks, and other partners to build and mobilize a multi-generational grassroots movement.
- a)Manage the deployment of NACHC’s organizing strategy, including the NACHC organizing team, in coordination with key partners and regional.
- b)Support local, regional, and statewide teams that are invested in creating a power-shifting strategy that centers people most directly impacted, CHC patients, at the center of the effort.
3) Provide training and other support to health centers, and state and regional Primary Care Associations (PCAs) to develop internal capacity and effectiveness through distributive leadership to ensure state and local efforts are coordinated with NACHC’s advocacy program.
- a)Integrate organizing training fundamentals, including power building, storytelling, distributed leadership, DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion), team building, and strategic planning in all organizing and mobilizing initiatives.
- b)Develop organizing and mobilizing training materials and resources for groups.
- c)Deliver organizing and mobilizing training.
4) Coordinate efforts to build Community Organizing tools team at NACHC.
- a)Develop and facilitate staff engagement sessions to increase understanding of organizing principles among NACHC staff.
- b)Integrate mobilizing principles throughout conference programming and engagement (signage, etc.).
5) Evaluate the effectiveness of NACHC’s advocacy program and provide solutions to areas that require improvement.
- a)Establishing assessment tools to measure and map progress of organizing efforts across the country.
- b)Review Quorum analytics with Director, Deputy Director of Grassroots Advocacy, and Communications Manager.
- c)Solicit feedback from each cohort of ALP and the ACEs.
6) Provide support to Grassroots team members.
- a)Help identify solutions to project challenges.
- b)Assist with orientation of new team members.
- c)Help cultivate community and trust among the team.
GENERAL PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
1) Four to six years of community organizing experience.
2) Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline; and a minimum of five years related work experience.
3) Demonstrated ability to engage at a high level with issues of racial equity and inclusion.
4) Commitment to NACHC’s mission and goals.
PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
1) Working knowledge of a diverse range of organizing strategies and tactics.
2) Proficient with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
3) Familiarity with Docebo or other Learning Management Systems.
4) Working knowledge of Quorum, SparkInfluence, or other advocacy platforms.
1) Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
2) Strong writing skills and verbal communication, including public speaking.
3) Excellent interpersonal skills.
4) Well-organized and attentive to details.
5) Comfortable working with diverse groups of people.
6) Ability to work in a team environment.
7) Commitment to customer service.
8) Recognition of the importance of interdepartmental coordination and communication, and of the need to keep leadership informed of problems and issues.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-08-24