Deputy General Counsel, Head of Regulatory, Litigation and Government Affairs
About the company
Robinhood is democratizing finance for all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers, removing fees, and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Robinhood is a fast-growing company and was recognized as a CNBC Disruptor 50 and a LinkedIn Top Startup in 2019. We’re continuing to grow and are looking for incredible talent that can help us achieve our mission.
Robinhood is headquartered in Menlo Park, California, with offices in Lake Mary, Florida, and London, UK.
About the role
The Head of Legal Regulatory, Litigation & Government Affairs will set and implement Robinhood’s strategy for engaging with regulators, government, policy makers, and industry groups globally. You will build trust in the Robinhood brand and enable Robinhood to carry out its mission to democratize finance for all. You will be responsible for proactively building Robinhood’s global public policy agenda and will serve as a source of expertise on government affairs, public policy and broker dealer law for Robinhood’s internal stakeholders. You will ensure Robinhood’s internal teams are aware of policy and broker dealer legal considerations related to our operations and services, apprised of upcoming policy developments and engaged where appropriate with government and industry groups. You will be responsible for managing and scaling a world class litigation & investigations team that handles all matters of regulatory enforcement and complex commercial litigation. Lastly, you will be tasked with building and managing Robinhood’s D.C. presence and establishing an office out of which Robinhood’s global government affairs efforts are run.
Your day-to-day will involve:
- Set and implement Robinhood’s strategy for building relationships and trust with regulators, government stakeholders, policy makers and think tanks
- Design and execute on Robinhood’s policy agenda & manage Robinhood’s involvement in industry groups
- Partner with PR/Communications on public communications related to legal, compliance or government affairs matters
- Keep Robinhood internal stakeholders abreast of important industry developments and potential policy changes
- Oversee a Legal Regulatory team that advises cross functional teams on meeting requirements of new and existing rules and regulations, attaining regulatory approvals and providing legal analysis to inform decisions
- Oversee the Litigation team responsible for regulatory enforcement matters, investigations, 3rd party subpoenas, customer litigation, arbitrations and disputes. Support the team in building new functions such as an E Discovery function and an Ethics & Compliance function
- Build and manage Robinhood’s D.C. legal presence
Some things we consider critical for this role:
- J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school (or foreign equivalent)
- Membership in at least 1 U.S. State Bar, with good standing
- 15+ years of relevant experience at a broker dealer, regulator or other 3rd party working closely with broker dealers.
- Existing relationships and positive rapport with relevant government stakeholders and industry groups
- Track record of success in setting and executing on a policy agenda
- Experience building and leading diverse teams
- Extraordinary interpersonal and communication skills; phenomenal ability to communicate information effectively internally and externally and to drive cross-functional alignment and action
- Execution oriented mindset with the humility, drive, and scrappiness to get things done
- Love and passion for your craft
- Capitol Hill Experience
- Experience with technology companies
Feeling ready to give 100% to democratizing finance for all? We’d love to have you apply, even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we’re looking for people invigorated by our mission, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-19