Deputy and Vice President of Congressional Affairs
Leidos has a career opening for a Deputy and Vice President (VP) of Congressional Affairs located in Washington, DC.
The Deputy and Vice President for Congressional Affairs is a senior position that reports to the Senior Vice President for Government Affairs. The position leads and manages an experienced and expanding group of lobbyists responsible for advocating for and advancing the goals and objectives of a diverse and growing company in the U.S. Congress and Executive Branch. The position requires agility, ability to multi-task, organization, and commitment to lead with integrity, candor, and respect.
- Leads a staff of lobbyists to effectively advocate for, promote, and protect Leidos legislative and policy interests on Capitol Hill and in the Executive Branch
- Partners with and supports the company’s lines of business by aligning congressional strategy and priorities with Leidos’ long-range plan, annual budget, identified emerging markets, and strategic imperatives
- Ensures congressional strategies exploit trade associations, public policy organizations, think tanks, and industry coalitions to promote Leidos objectives.
- Coordinates efforts with internal Leidos stakeholders
- Effectively manages the establishment, development, and maintenance of Leidos relationships with Members of Congress, their staff, and key government leaders
- Collaborates with internal Leidos functions to ensure a coordinated and unified message for congressional and executive branch decision makers
- Reports to and acts as Deputy to the Senior Vice President of Government Affairs (GA)
- Is a thought partner to, and participates as a core member of, the GA leadership team
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree. 15+ years of experience as staff on Capitol Hill, the Executive Branch, as a lobbyist in the federal government services/aerospace industry, or a combination thereof
- Collaborative skills with a record of accomplishment in building and maintaining strong relationships on Capitol Hill and the Executive Branch
- Proven team player approach with experience managing, mentoring, and leading teams
- Self-motivated, assertive, and self-confident disposition with the ability to act with urgency and an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to emerging issues
- High degree of emotional intelligence, displaying candor and integrity at all times
- Outstanding level of acumen and understanding of the legislative and federal budget processes on Capitol Hill.
- High level of strategic thinking ability and judgment
- Exceptionally strong oral and written communication skills to effectively interface with and influence Leidos senior leaders, and decision-makers on Capitol Hill and in the Executive Branch
- Strong organizational skills in order to maintain a high level of productivity, innovation, and priority-setting
- Ability to manage multiple projects efficiently and concurrently and think through complexity and ambiguity; make thoughtful, integrated, timely and meaningful decisions; and take corresponding actions
- Entrepreneurial spirit, resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm, results-oriented mindset, and enjoyment working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
- Proficient in MS Windows, Word, and PowerPoint
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Master’s degree
- Deep knowledge of the Appropriations process
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-27