Deputy Vice President – Public Affairs
Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Deputy Vice President for its Public Affairs team to lead national media relations activities, including developing relationships with reporters, serving as a spokesperson for PhRMA on priority issues and managing executive visibility activities for the CEO and other executives.
The individual will report to the Executive Vice President of Public Affairs and work with colleagues across the organization to develop and execute proactive communications strategies on cost and value of medicines, including responding to attacks from critics and driving our proactive agenda through the PhRMA Value Collaborative. These priorities are organizationally cross-cutting and require a high degree of organization, collaboration with internal stakeholders and subject matter expertise and include, but are not limited to, issues such as access, prescription drug costs, Sunshine Act, Value Based Healthcare, PDUFA and others.
The Deputy Vice President is responsible for:
- Leading national media relations activities, including developing relationship with reporters, managing response to media inquiries and serving as a spokesperson on priority issues.
- Managing executive visibility activities for the CEO and other PhRMA executives, including handling speaking requests, identifying and securing media and speaking opportunities, drafting presentations and staffing executives for events.
- Working with the PhRMA Policy department and consultants to oversee the Value Collaborative, a proactive communications and public affairs campaign to position the industry as supporting value based health care and building awareness of our policy priorities in this area.
- Working with a cross-departmental team to develop and execute a proactive communications and public affairs strategy on the cost and value of medicines, including reporter education, rapid response.
- Facilitating PhRMA interdepartmental collaboration to build consensus and alignment on positioning and communications messaging.
- Managing 3-5 consultants at any given time, along with 2 direct reports.
- Developing impactful messaging, advocacy and communications materials and reviewing the work of consultants including blog posts, op-eds, letters to the editor, press releases, talking points and presentations, among other materials.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a proactive, confident and action-oriented individual who is passionate about contributing to the health care challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include a strong sense of team and collaborative focus, as well as a positive attitude. The preferred candidate will bring substantive health care communications expertise and be an organized, detail-oriented, self-starter with excellent writing skills and the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner. Demonstrated consensus building, decision-making and interpersonal skills are essential. This is a highly visible, fast-paced position that is both internally and externally facing. Accordingly, the successful candidate should be adaptable, able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly, comfortable in a high-pressure environment and be politically savvy, diplomatic, responsive and mature.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, English or related field;
- 10+ years of experience in communications for either a PR firm, large trade association, political campaign or on Capitol Hill.
- Self-starter, motivated, and responsive.
- Very strong team player with the ability to work very effectively across departments.
- Proactive, confident, and action-oriented, and passionate about communicating about health care challenges and solutions.
- Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to convey content in an audience-appropriate and compelling manner.
- Strong communication, decision-making and interpersonal skills essential, in highly visible position that is both internally and externally facing.
- Comfortable and skilled with public speaking and being politically savvy.
- Must be available after hours and on weekends for work and sudden travel.
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Public Health, Strategic Marketing or related field • Prior Health care experience preferred
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than $600 billion in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $79.6 billion in 2018 alone.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-09