Design Manager, Communications
Arnold Ventures is a philanthropy whose core objective is to maximize opportunity and minimize injustice. We are dedicated to tackling some of the most pressing problems in the United States. We invest in sustainable change, building it from the ground up based on research, deep thinking, and a strong foundation of evidence. We drive public conversation, craft policy, and inspire action through education and advocacy.
Location: Houston, TX
Salary: Competitive salary and benefits package based on qualifications
Report to: Vice President of Communications
Travel: Occasional travel expected
The Communications Team at one of the largest philanthropies in the country is looking for a Design Manager to conceive, develop, and build visual storytelling solutions on the foundation of our new brand identity. Do your design skills shine in all traditional and digital media? Are you always imagining a better way to present information? Are you a proactive big-picture problem solver who is equally happy taking an urgent infographic assignment?
The Design Manager will develop and execute visual storytelling strategies, taking inputs from Communications colleagues and the internal teams in our key focus areas: criminal justice, health, education, public finance, research, and evidence-based policy. The Manager must possess significant skills in digital, mobile, social, email, and traditional print mediums, and be someone who can not only solve creative challenges but can also distill complex and complicated concepts into digestible, compelling visuals. Multitasking, collaboration, ability to articulate a vision are all a given for this position.
If you can interpret strategic objectives and use the brand identity to build beautiful and informative solutions, and want to grow your skills in service of changing the world, this may be the role for you. It is a unique opportunity to join a forward-thinking, fast-paced, results-driven team as it grows and evolves to most effectively tell stories around some of the most pressing and complex issues of our time.
- Elevate the work of programmatic teams and the mission of Arnold Ventures through dynamic design across multiple mediums
- Maintain brand standards and style guide, leading training sessions as necessary
- Using superior design, technical, and layout skills, along with strong attention to detail, support Communications managers in the development of compelling multimedia projects
- Effectively articulate ideas, present to groups internally and externally
- Manage all external design resources including freelancers or agencies as needed to flex to meet demand: Plan, manage and execute projects by setting and maintaining production schedules with clients, internal teams, and external partners or vendors; work closely with printers, photographers, producers and other vendors or service providers to assure quality and timeliness of delivery
- Work with programmatic teams and the Communications Team to create and maintain visual content on Arnold Ventures’ main website and related microsites.
- At least six years of design experience, including managing relationships with external resources
- Ability to effectively design across multiple platforms (video, print, digital, social, etc.)
- Experience creating dynamic and brand-centric collateral, including brochures, event signage, publications, annual reports, data visualization, social media cards, and video graphics
- Ability to manage production of print collateral and adapt designs to various media
- Ability to evaluate and distill complex information using a variety of story-telling platforms
- Digital portfolio of relevant examples
- Bachelor’s degree in art, design, visual journalism or a related field
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Expert understanding of design principles, photo selection, techniques, and trends in production software
- Exceptional problem-solving skills; the ability to manage multiple and often changing priorities and issues of varying complexity; attention to detail, deadline, and brand alignment
- An entrepreneurial and proactive approach
- Experience designing for communications campaigns for target audiences across media and channels
The successful candidate will also demonstrate the following core values that inspire the Arnold Ventures team to make a difference.
- Respect for Ourselves & Others
- Audacious Action
- Collaborative Engagement
- Depth of Thought
- Clear Communication
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-08-28