Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Development and Communication Associate
Northside Center provides children and families the support they need to overcome adversity and thrive. Our high quality outcome-driven behavioral, mental health and education services propel struggling children forward… away from the ill-effects of poverty and racism; toward a future limited only by the scope of their dreams.
Northside was founded in 1946 by pioneering psychologists Drs. Kenneth B. and Mamie Clark. Their work—which showed how racial inequality negatively affected the self-esteem of young children—helped change the course of American history. Today we reach over 4,000 children annually through our five locations in Harlem, Brooklyn and the Bronx through behavioral/mental health, early education, and enrichment programs.
POSITION SUMMARY Our Development department is responsible for the stewardship and cultivation of individual and institutional donors whose gifts support our work, with an annual goal of $4 million annually. The Development and Communications Associate helps to coordinate and organize Northside’s institutional and individual funding partnerships, working closely with the Director of Development, Executive Director, and Board of Directors to ensure their success.
• Assist with the annual appeal and other development campaigns – both via mail and electronic – during the year.
• Review acknowledgment letters and donor reports; generate letters and reports as needed.
• As needed, update grant proposals, reports, and attachments in partnership with Development Director and grant writing consultants.
• Help maintain current grants calendar and coordinate staff contributions for upcoming proposals and reports.
• Liaise as needed with external event planner for annual Gala.
• Implement smaller gatherings, such as corporate volunteer events.
Planning, Culture, and Administration
• Work with Development Director to establish annual fundraising plan and goals.
• Support Board of Directors with their fundraising efforts as needed.
• Help maintain Raiser’s Edge database and electronic files.
• Manage Development Department in the absence of Development Director.
• Liaise with consultants – including grant writer and event planner – as required.
• Attend events/public meetings as required.
• Work closely with finance department on gift reconciliation, grant budgets, and grant reporting.
• Produce content for social media platforms, and website and manage accounts.
• Help to identify, pursue, and cultivate public relations opportunities for Northside.
Other projects as assigned.
• Strong knowledge of donor cultivation solicitation and stewardship techniques, as well as best practices and current trends in fundraising.
• Excellent and highly versatile written communication skills. Strong experience in composing and preparing a variety of correspondence related to institutional and individual giving. Talent for creating clear and persuasive verbal/written communications for a range of donor audiences.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite including Office 365; Constant Contact and Raiser’s Edge; Laser Fiche and iWave proficiency preferred.
• Commitment to and enthusiasm for Northside’s mission.
• Ability to multi-task, sense of humor, and outstanding organizational skills.
• B.A. degree and a minimum of three years’ development experience.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team to set priorities and manage multiple projects.
• Outstanding time management skills and attention to detail.
• Ability to well under pressure while remaining positive and polished.
• Punctual and reliable; ability to work evenings and weekends as required.
• Understand and commit to a hybrid on-site position.
Northside is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment.
To apply, please submit a cover letter with salary requirements, resume, two writing samples, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2022-09-18