Development and Communications Director
Business Unit Description
Founded in 1975, Legal Counsel for the Elderly champions the dignity and rights of vulnerable Washington, D.C. seniors, 60 and older, providing free legal and social work services to those in need — empowering, defending and protecting.
LCE staff help 6,000+ clients each year in many areas of civil law. Attorneys represent seniors facing foreclosures, evictions, and consumer fraud. LCE handles Medicaid and Social Security cases, provides benefits checkups to assure that seniors and Veterans are receiving the benefits they are due, prepares Wills and Powers of Attorney, and educates elders in ways to avoid Medicare and Medicaid fraud. Clients come to LCE directly through the LCE Legal Hotline, they are referred by partner organizations and the courts, and LCE attorneys, plus its more than 800 volunteers, are regularly in the community meeting elders at senior centers and faith-based organizations. LCE also accommodates homebound seniors by providing legal services in their homes.
LCE also houses the office of the D.C. Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, which advocates on behalf of seniors in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and those receiving home health care. LCE has a strong relationship with a number of pro bono law firms that assist staff with approximately 600 cases a year. LCE staff testify and make recommendations regarding laws before the D.C. Council that affect seniors, and have been instrumental in bettering conditions for D.C. seniors through assistance with local legislation. More than 40 years after its founding, LCE continues to develop innovative, cost-effective ways to deliver legal services, serving as a model for organizations around the country. LCE is incorporated as a 501(c) (3) and is an affiliate of AARP.
The Director of Development and Communications designs and executes the fundraising strategy to procure financial support for Legal Counsel for the Elderly (LCE). The Director of Development and Communications (DDC) also crafts and drives a multi-channel communications strategy that articulates LCE’s mission and amplifies the results of LCE’s advocacy and legal representation on behalf of DC residents 60+ to internal and external audiences and stakeholders. The DDC brings structure and innovation to LCE’s fundraising and communications activities. The DDC reports to the Executive Director and serves a critical strategic and tactical role on the Leadership Team.
1. Designs, plans and implements the strategic fundraising plan.
2. Serves as a strategic partner with management in formulating, evaluating, implementing, and guiding the fundraising process.
3. Identifies, recommends, and pursues government, foundation, law firm, corporate, and individual donor/grantor prospects through solicitation letters and formal grant proposals.
4. Defines and promotes the planned giving program.
5. Ensures proper recording of funds received and reporting on all fundraising initiatives.
6. Manages and oversees stewardship and recognition of all gifts.
7. Monitors and tracks compliance with grant proposals and ensures reporting requirements are met.
8. Cultivates relationships and builds organizational connections with private, corporate and governmental donors.
9. Develops, produces and distributes an electronic newsletter for LCE stakeholders.
10. Advises on the development and execution of LCE’s social media strategy for all major social media platforms.
11. Coordinates development of print collateral related to fundraising and programming collateral for all practice areas.
12. Plans and oversees execution of periodic friend-raising and fundraising events.
13. Participates in key LCE meetings and Board activities.
14. Prepares and assists top management and volunteers in presenting proposals to potential donors and funding negotiations.
15. Recruits, motivates, and trains board volunteers and others to participate in the fundraising process. Serves as the board liaison to guide both internal and external fundraising opportunities.
16. Adheres to all applicable laws and follows ethical standards for charitable giving as defined by the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP).
17.Models AARP’s organizational values.
-Bachelor’s degree in Business, Communications, Public Relations or related field with 7+ years experience in fundraising and communications or leading a communications team or equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position.
-Foundation, law firm, corporate, and major gifts fundraising experience required including grant writing, tracking and reporting. Familiarity with government grants a plus.
-Working Knowledge of Mircosoft Office Suite products, especially Excel, and Salesforce.
-Demonstrated ability to direct and successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
-Experience managing teams and effectively collaborating with others.
-Essential qualifications include excellent written and oral communication skills, presentation and public speaking abilities, attention to detail, leadership and teamwork.
*Please submit a cover letter with your resume when applying.
At AARP, the health and well-being of our candidates, employees, and members is a top priority. As a result of the COVID pandemic, all non- essential employees will continue to work remotely through the end of 2020. AARP has established social distancing policies to ensure the safety of our essential employees.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-29