Digital Advocacy Strategist
The National Marine Manufacturers Association (NMMA) is the leading trade association for the $42 billion U.S. recreational boating industry, which supports more than 35,000 businesses and 691,000 jobs. NMMA members manufacture boats, marine engines and accessories used by millions of boaters around the world.
Our Why: Creating Transformational Experiences
Our Vision: Recreational boating is the #1 leisure activity in America
Our Mission: To ensure the growth and success of the recreational boating industry
Our Core Values: Respect, Serve Others, Be Curious, Collaborate, Focus on the Consumer
The NMMA Advocacy department, located in D.C., is the hub for government relations work on behalf of the recreational boating industry. Through its Advocacy team, NMMA works to educate decisionmakers at every level of government about the recreational boating industry, secure legislative and regulatory victories for the industry, and inform NMMA members about the association’s advocacy work and its impact on the industry.
- Develop and implement digital-first advocacy campaigns to promote and advance NMMA’s policies and priorities at every level of government – local, state, federal, and international.
- Manage all aspects of NMMA’s digital advocacy footprint – grassroots website and database, social media channels, advocacy sections of NMMA’s website, and content creation.
- Work hand-in-hand with the Advocacy team in D.C., as well as the Marketing and Communications team located in NMMA’s Chicago headquarters, to support our advocacy efforts and bring positive change to recreational boating.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Craft and implement high-impact and effective digital campaigns for promoting NMMA’s advocacy priorities to all audiences – elected and appointed officials, reporters, third-party validators, the organization’s members and the broader recreational boating community.
- Develop creative digital content for communicating and marketing NMMA’s advocacy efforts including, but not limited to, presentations, emails, webinars, advertisements, videos, and web content and additional collateral materials.
- Position NMMA and its representatives as thought leaders on core social media channels.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with influencers, third-party validators, and reporters on social media.
- Write and edit social content, maintain a publishing calendar and post social media content to all channels.
- Manage and maintain NMMA’s advocacy website, grow the platform’s database, and increase the engagement level of users.
- Write and edit effective grassroots advocacy and fundraising emails that encourage NMMA members to take action and donate to the industry’s pollical action committee.
- Oversee and develop content for all advocacy pages on NMMA’s website.
- Track and monitor the success of social media, online engagement and fundraising initiatives to help determine impact and refine strategy using analytics.
- Help monitor new trends in a rapidly evolving digital media industry and identify opportunities and strategies that keep the organization’s digital advocacy strategy on the cutting edge.
- Get excited about the recreational boating industry and have fun making a difference for NMMA’s 1300+ members.
- This person will have a minimum of five years of digital advocacy experience, a demonstrated understanding of politics and policy, and a desire to work in a fast-paced and fluid environment. Experience working on Capitol Hill, political campaigns, and/or a digital communications/public affairs agency is desired. Bachelor’s degree or higher is required.
- You are an exceptional public speaker, communicator, writer, and editor. You are detail-oriented, able to juggle numerous tasks effectively, and often do your best under tight deadlines. You bring extensive experience crafting both short and long-term strategic digital plans and you can demonstrate your know-how, but you are equally eager to learn new ways to achieve success.
- Your previous experience designing and implementing digital issue campaigns has positioned you to lead a comparable portfolio of programs for a large organization. A mastery of managing websites, databases, and social media accounts makes you well-suited to set an organization’s digital advocacy presence apart from others.
- Your creativity, ability to see opportunities others cannot, and your can-do, positive attitude set you apart and have helped you thrive in your career.
- Office environment (currently remote due to COVID-19)
- Travel – 10% (currently 0% due to COVID-19)
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
At NMMA, we are more interested in your journey, results, and impact than brand names or keywords that may appear on your resume. We appreciate your time in completing the application process.
NMMA is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We strive to achieve a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
Job posted: 2020-10-30