*To be eligible for this position you must have full working rights in the country in which you are applying.
The Sunrise Project is a small organization with an oversized impact. Motivated by a passion to solve the climate crisis, we are a team of experienced campaigners, analysts and communications professionals with a mission to scale social movements to drive the transition beyond fossil fuels. With programs in Australia, Europe and the US, we’re focused on stopping major new fossil fuel projects, shifting the global finance sector out of fossil fuels, and accelerating the transition to 100% renewable energy.
Through our grants program we provide partner groups with the capacity they need, while our team provides strategy, analysis and networking support for partners to work together for greater impact. For more information about how we work, see www.sunriseproject.org.au.
Together with our network of partner NGOs, we’re running several campaigns to shift the global financial system out of fossil fuels. Our insurance campaign aims to get the world’s biggest insurance companies to stop underwriting and investing in fossil fuel projects and companies. Our asset manager campaign aims to push BlackRock, the world’s biggest investor, to shift out of fossil fuels. Our campaigns on central and private banks aim to push them out of fossil fuel financing by using a variety of pressures.
We have an exciting opportunity for digital campaigners to join our small but growing team and provide support for these directed network campaigns to shift finance away from fossil fuels.
You’re an experienced campaigner proficient in conceiving, creating and implementing effective digital strategies to win campaigns. You have a knack for telling simple, powerful stories that synthesize complex issues and inspire people to take action online. You enjoy coming up with innovative online ideas to engage people and shift narrative. While you’re skilled at developing big picture strategy, you also enjoy the nitty gritty of implementation, using various digital tools to be able to communicate how and where most people can affect change. You’re a team player with excellent interpersonal communications skills and the ability to work effectively with our partner groups to support them to do their best work. You’re passionate about solving the climate crisis and winning campaigns. You’re excited to be part of a dedicated team working at the intersection of finance and climate and supporting social and climate justice movements to create real change.
Working with Sunrise Project campaign leads and network partners, the Digital Campaigner will focus on supporting work in three main areas:
Developing & implementing digital campaign strategies
- Organize and amplify key campaign moments (online and offline actions, report launches, rapid responses) so as to maximize reach within our partner network and the wider climate movement.
- Create campaign messaging frames, online theory of change, and engagement tools for our campaigns with Sunrise and with partner organizations.
- Generate a variety of online content by picking out the key messages from campaign and policy information that will resonate with specific audiences.
- Identify and make the most of campaign communication moments and flash points, including leveraging breaking news online across various platforms.
- Identify the target audiences and channels (including social and paid advertising) which are best suited for our campaign messages.
- Track and analyze digital metrics to measure success and identify key lessons from campaigns and projects — and use those metrics to share learnings and recommendations with digital and non-digital campaigners alike to help teams strengthen future work.
Create digital campaign materials
- Create (or oversee all aspects of the production of) impactful communications materials for social media including blogs, short videos, infographics, and other visual assets.
- Manage content on the website and promote key pieces of content and campaign moments across the network.
- Work with the Sunrise team and partner organizations to develop and test tailored. communications materials that reach a variety of audiences including campaign newsletters and digital ads.
Working in global teams
- Work collaboratively alongside another Digital Campaigner on our global finance team to have a big picture view of all our digital communications.
- Work closely with our Communication Campaigners to align strategic digital work with broader campaign messaging and narrative.
- Coordinate with network partners to build and amplify strategic digital moments through our networks and the wider climate movement.
Specific skills/experience needed
- 5+ years in digital campaigning or organizing;
- Proven ability to dream up, prepare and execute creative and effective digital communication strategies including social media, and digital ads;
- Ability to work collaboratively with campaigners, organizers, and other communication professionals to deliver integrated campaigns using a range of digital platforms;
- Solid writing and editing skills with experience writing for digital applications;
- Good project management skills, being able to plan project work in a structured way that allows others to understand what will be delivered and when, and makes delegation easy when appropriate;
- Finding and working with specialist external contractors, including finding (or sourcing), briefing and managing external suppliers and contractors to deliver digital products including websites, digital applications, videos and graphic design;
Additional desirable skills/experience
- Experience working on climate, finance, or clean energy issues a plus;
- Ability to create social media materials such as short videos, images and infographics;
- Experience running digital ad campaigns including facebook, linkedin and google ads;
- Experience with website content management systems and web-based email programs. Ability to adjust website layouts to improve user experience and page conversion;
- Experience training and mentoring others in digital campaigning;
We offer generous salaries in line with local practices and benefits. The salary range for the US Digital Campaigner is $77k – $85k. This position will work closely with other senior digital mobilization strategists, communication strategists, and campaigners. The Sunrise Project values the mentoring and development of our employees and works to proactively build that into our team and management structure.
Sunrise US is a project of Windward Fund, a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. Windward Fund is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. Windward Fund ‘s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-28