Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Digital Communications Representative
The United Association of Union Plumbers and Pipefitters (UA) Department of Legislative and Political Affairs is seeking a digital communications staffer to assist in the development, planning, and execution of a long-term digital communications strategy to support the United Association’s strategic messaging, organizing, and legislative and political goals, and to oversee the United Association’s social media accounts and presence. This position will engage both internal and external audiences through a wide variety of platforms and resources to better advance the objectives of the United Association. In addition, this position will assist the Department of Legislative and Political Affairs to grow the capabilities of the United Association to better advocate on behalf of its more than 359,000 members in the United States and Canada, and to execute a long-term strategy to promote the United Association’s legislative and political impact with membership, the general public, and elected officials at the federal, state, provincial, and local levels.
This is a hybrid, full time position based in Washington, D.C., reporting to the Communications Representative. Some travel and occasional unpredictable hours are required. The salary range for this position is $75,000.00 to $80,000.00 based on experience.
Please note that the UA has adopted a mandatory vaccination policy to safeguard the health of our employees from the hazards of COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be a condition of employment.
The UA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead development and execution of short- and long-term digital communications strategies, including social media, to engage United Association members, contractors, the general public, and elected officials to better advance the legislative and political objectives of the UA.
- Serve as primary graphic designer for the Department of Legislative and Political Affairs, responsible for the production of day-to-day external digital elements including but not limited to graphics, newsletters, informational materials, videos, and other items.
- Work with Legislative Representatives to develop digital materials, such as infographics and digital toolkits, to better educate United Association members on legislative and political processes, outcomes, and initiatives.
- Develop and execute short- and long-term social media strategies, to eventually include day-to-day oversight of the United Association’s social media accounts.
- Analyze digital trends to better adapt United Association messaging and platforms.
- Coordinate with Communications Representative to produce both inward- and outward-facing digital materials to advance short- and long-term overall communications strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Graphic Design, Marketing, Political Science, or related field preferred; Outstanding written communications skills required.
- Ability to produce clear, concise, and effective copy and design deliverables under limited supervision, at a level consistent with at least three years of professional working experience.
- Experience planning and executing a data-driven day-to-day social media strategy, preferably in a political campaign setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in graphic design and editing, including but not limited to proficiency in software such as Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Experience working for or with an organized labor organization strongly preferred, as well as a basic understanding of issues within the building trades industries.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of the federal legislative process preferred.
The UA also offers a highly competitive package of benefits, including, but not limited to, an employer-funded Defined Benefit Pension Plan; generous medical, dental and vision benefits; a 401(k) plan; paid holidays; paid vacation, sick, new child, compassionate and other leave; and group life insurance.
To apply, please send a detailed cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com or by mail to the UA Department of Legislative and Political Affairs, 1325 Massachusetts Ave NW, Ste. 201, Washington, D.C. 20005.
Job posted: 2022-05-03