Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Digital Communications Specialist
The Plastics Industry Association, a D.C.-based trade association which represents the nation’s nearly one million workers in the $395 billion plastics industry, is seeking a Digital Communications Specialist to join our communications team.
The ideal candidate will have experience producing content for brands’ or clients’ social media platforms, in addition to traditional print, broadcast and/or public relations experience. We are looking for someone who can develop creative, compelling content in an energetically paced, excellence-driven environment, and write for all forms of media, including digital, print and video.
This position is part of the PLASTICS Communications team and will work closely with the Vice President, Director, Associate Director and collaborate with all organization members including federal government affairs, policy and sustainability as well as marketing and membership engagement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manage, foster and grow the organization’s social media presence using both organic and paid tactics to promote key messages and engagement, including our global tradeshow and industry events.
- Serve as an internal social media consultant, providing strategic social media communications plans to staff and members.
- Transform technical information into compelling stories about the benefits of plastic for a number of platforms, including website, articles, blogs and social media.
- Develop press releases, statements, talking points, presentations, articles, and other materials as needed to support the communications team.
- Promote the people of the plastics industry and provide positive examples of the dedicated members of the plastics industry workforce.
- Coordinate content from across the organization and compile content, not limited to, bi-weekly newsletters for membership, executive correspondence, and public updates.
- Work with executive team to support the Associate Director and refine social media outreach lists, media outlet contacts and alternative touchpoints for content.
- Head up media monitoring for the organization. Oversee outside agencies that compile monitoring reports and communicate key findings to the broader organization.
- Track internal and external deliverables, keeping the team’s project deadlines and to-dos organized.
REQUIRED SKILLS and EXPERIANCE
- Exceptional ability to proof and confidently edit executive-level written content.
- 3-5 years of experience in writing for communications, marketing and storytelling.
- Experience managing an organization’s social media accounts (experience managing paid social media campaigns a plus).
- Experience drafting social media copy on behalf of an organization.
- Experience developing communications materials, including press releases, statements, talking points and other articles.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects in an organized manner.
- Demonstrated ability to track project to completion through approvals across a number of different organizational levels.
- Outstanding command of vocabulary, grammar, and style.
- Ability to develop metrics for quality of work, measure them and incorporate them in new campaigns, initiatives, and projects.
- Demonstrated ability to make technical information understandable a plus.
- A strong sense of humor and positive attitude, especially in situations that include editorial deadlines.
- A creative and collaborative spirit that demonstrates a dedication to the overall success of the entire organization.
- An understanding of the importance of sustainability and environmental responsibility as part of a successful circular economy.
- A commitment to promoting and working in a truly inclusive and diverse environment with a variety of colleagues from multiple backgrounds.
Interested applicants should send cover letter, salary requirements, and resume with Digital Communications Specialist in subject line to HR@plasticsindustry.org
PLASTICS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Us: PLASTICS is a dynamic organization with an ambitious team, striving for growth and success. Together we shape the direction of the entire plastics industry and represent the members we serve. Employees have an opportunity to grow, learn and impact both the industry and the inner workings of our association. We encourage an environment that fosters teamwork, and perpetuates respect for each other, our surroundings, and the environment.We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, competitive salaries and a 401(k) plan with employer match and contributions. We work hard, play hard, and value a work-life balance. To learn more about PLASTICS, go to www.plasticsindustry.org or visit www.thisisplastics.com.
Job posted: 2022-07-17