Digital Communications Specialist
Who we are:
The Council of State Governments Justice Center is a national nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that combines the power of a membership association, representing state officials in all three branches of government, with policy and research expertise to develop strategies that increase public safety and strengthen communities. We help achieve those results by:
- Bringing people together from both sides of the aisle to foster collaboration.
- Driving the criminal justice field forward with original research.
- Building momentum for policy change at the state and local levels.
- Providing expert assistance to translate the latest research into policy and practice.
The CSG Justice Center is one of the most robust criminal justice organizations in the country, composed of approximately 120 employees with decades of experience in law enforcement, community corrections, court administration, housing, mental health and addiction services, state prisons, local jails, juvenile justice, education, workforce development, and victim advocacy. Staff here have served governors, state legislators and members of Congress on both sides of the political spectrum. What bonds us together is a shared commitment to our mission, to a common set of values, and to the national, bipartisan advisory board that guides our work. Learn more about careers at the CSG Justice Center.
What you’ll do:
The digital communications specialist is an integral part of the Communications and External Affairs division. In this role, you will work collaboratively across the organization to integrate digital engagement strategies into a coordinated online and multimedia strategy.
Specific responsibilities of the digital communications specialist include the following:
- Develop annual goals for digital communication and marketing efforts to drive greater engagement and better user experience across all CSG Justice Center platforms and channels.
- Work collaboratively across divisions to help increase the profile of the CSG Justice Center through digital communications.
- Take day-to-day responsibility for the maintenance of the CSG Justice Center website and associated project websites.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of new web-based content, features, and tools.
- Stay abreast of new technologies and digital trends.
- Participate in digital content development across the organization. Support teams in identifying opportunities for high-impact digital content and engagement that is audience-focused and aligns with the CSG Justice Center’s visual brand.
- Develop multimedia content, including visual/graphics content, online features, social media posts, etc.
- Develop and update internal design templates for digital and print collateral (emails, PowerPoint, reports, briefs, etc.).
- Edit, organize, and archive the CSG Justice Center digital assets, including images, videos, etc.
- Support the organization’s ongoing efforts to analyze and interpret website, email, and social media analytics. Create mechanisms for extracting insights and sharing internally to inform strategy. Oversee and optimize ongoing Search Engine Optimization (SEO) efforts.
- Manage assigned projects from inception to completion to ensure that all activities are coordinated, executed effectively, and completed on time and within budget.
- Actively participate in staff discussions and strategic planning meetings. Serve as a liaison between the Communications and External Affairs division and other internal divisions to collaborate, exchange information, and advance the organization’s mission.
What you’ll bring:
- A bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of work experience in relevant fields, including communications, marketing, visual design, website development, or other related fields
- Proficiency with word processing platforms (MS Office products), graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite), visual asset management (Creative Cloud), website development tools (WordPress), email outreach platforms (MailChimp), and data analytics tools (Google Analytics, Yoast)
- Experience quickly producing written products, including internal emails and memos, that summarize information and present options for action
- Ability to clearly communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to represent departmental and organizational positions in internal and external negotiations to achieve objectives
- Responsiveness to requests for action, internally and externally
- Ability to take ownership of projects and contribute to divisional strategic planning
- Positive, problem-solving attitude with colleagues and partners
- Strong follow-through on assignments
- Ability to maintain strong internal coordination of objectives through relationships, agenda-driven meetings, email, and appropriate elevation as issues arise
How you apply:
If you’re interested in helping us drive change across the country, you should upload the following elements with your application:
- Cover letter with salary expectations
- Writing sample
- Digital portfolio (if applicable)
The CSG Justice Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We participate in E-Verify.
Job posted: 2020-12-29