Social Progress Imperative
The Opportunity & Key Priorities
Generous backing from founding donors has fueled the Social Progress Imperative’s ambitious pursuit of redefining how the world thinks and acts about development, putting social progress at the center of debate, decision-making and action. Following the breakthrough accomplishments of its first four years, the Social Progress Imperative is pursuing efforts to scale its impact globally. To achieve this, the Social Progress Imperative must globalize its communications and marketing activities, seek out new opportunities to convey its voice and value, and support increased demand from its partners.
The Social Progress Imperative seeks a creative, entrepreneurial, outcome-driven professional with exceptional graphic design, web development/publishing skills and video production skills, including special expertise in data visualization and interactive web design. This new position – Digital Creative Manager – reports to the Global Director, Marketing and Communications and will collaborate regularly with the CEO, senior leaders and spokespeople, researchers and partners, authors and translators, and part-time consultants.
Key responsibilities include:
Developing & Designing
- Design and lay out the majority of the organization’s marketing and communications materials, including newsletters, reports and briefs, scorecards, marketing emails and other materials, graphics (static, data and interactive), toolkits templates, case studies, PowerPoint presentations, signage, visual brand identity and exhibits.
- Initiate and publish website edits on a daily basis, and design/code new features on an infrequent basis.
- Modify and upload data sets to data visualization platforms.
- Source photos for marketing and communications materials, and establish a photo and video archive.
- Monitor and maintain the organization’s visual brand identity standards.
Producing & Publishing
- Design/code and deploy HTML marketing emails, according to a high-volume schedule.
- Monitor and report web analytics as well as conduct user surveys to optimize the website for stronger search results and user experience.
- Produce simple photo essays and videos, according to an infrequent schedule.
- Lead app development and website redesign processes.
- Maintain the organization’s customer relationship management database, website and other technology systems that support communications.
Collaborating & Managing Projects
- Recruit, task and supervise contracted designers, developers and producers during busy periods or for specialized projects.
- Partner with authors, technical experts and outreach leads to collect requirements, co-develop concepts and drafts, secure the necessary information, and review and adapt materials.
- Review and suggest strategic, structural, aesthetic and other improvements to content produced by other individuals and teams.
- Proof and mark-up drafts through collaborative software, and manage the print production process.
- Develop and maintain a production calendar for each product and consistently deliver on schedule.
- Coordinate with authors, information holders and other communications staff members to support the creative process and smooth work flow.
- Develop and maintain an electronic library of drafts/final versions throughout the process and regularly update key documents to ensure they are always accessible and current by staff and partners.
- Monitor other organizations’ visual and digital story telling techniques, and suggest ways that Social Progress Imperative can adapt or adopt similar approaches.
- Co-supervise a part-time, Communications Specialist.
This is a unique opportunity for an intellectually curious, self-starter who is passionate about building a fairer, more sustainable world and helping to convey the visual identity and creativity of this innovative global initiative. Candidates need the intellectual dynamism and business prowess to be effective in a start-up, entrepreneurial culture, as well as the capacity to understand the Index and its application to real-world decision-making. The strongest applicants also will be excited to work in a flexible, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment across different countries, cultures and time zones.
Candidates must have a portfolio of published work that demonstrates creativity, clarity, consistency and accuracy as well as mastery of information and project management, including leading website redesigns and managing big data. The prospective Digital Creative Manager’s level of experience with dynamic data graphics and static infographics as well as with website development will set applicants apart. Candidates with app development, animation, illustration, motion graphics and sound editing talents are also highly desired.
A commitment to openness and transparency is a must, which is crucial to Social Progress Imperative’s culture, as is consistent and frequent communication at all levels in the organization. Since the Social Progress Imperative expects to maintain a small staff, the Digital Creative Manager must bring a combination of strategic thinking and hands-on capabilities. Comfort working across time zones, languages, and cultures is paramount to the success of this role.
- At least five years of related work experience, including one year of supervisory experience.
- A Bachelor’s-level degree (or equivalent) in Graphic Design, Interactive/Web Design, Knowledge Management or Data Science.
- Significant experience with data visualization platforms (Tableau and GIS), Adobe Creative Suite, Vertical Response, Microsoft Excel and Power Point.
- Familiarity and willingness to learn Final Cut Pro, web analytics, Salesforce database management, and other tools and systems.
- Advanced interpersonal communication and collaboration skills as well as stellar negotiation and organization talents.
How to apply
The Social Progress Imperative is an equal opportunity employer. We offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, including covering 100% of medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and their dependents and 5% contribution to employees’ 403(b) retirement plans after six months of employment.
Well qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for this position as soon as possible by sending a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role, salary expectations and resume to email@example.com. Work samples will be requested of finalists as well.
Job Posted: March 12, 2017