Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The Legal Aid Society is the nation’s oldest and largest social justice law firm. We are united in one simple but powerful belief: that no New Yorker should be denied the right to equal justice. The Legal Aid Society advances its mission through rigorous client representation in a myriad of courts, community education, class action and impact litigation, and systemic law and policy reform.
The Communications Department leads Legal Aid’s growing media relations, marketing, branding, and design needs on earned, owned, and paid media channels. The Communications Department tells the stories of our clients and supporters, develops educational and advocacy campaigns, and highlights our legal and advocacy victories. A senior member of the Communications Department, the Digital Director will drive Legal Aid’s new imperative to strengthen brand awareness and motivate our audiences to take action in support of Legal Aid’s mission.
The Digital Director will modernize Legal Aid’s digital strategies, partner with the Development team to support fundraising goals, design educational and advocacy campaigns, and oversee the production of compelling content that galvanizes our supporters. The Digital Director will use their expertise in creative content, website management, email, social media, SMS, data analytics, grassroots fundraising, and/or distributed organizing to refine Legal Aid’s overall digital ecosystem and advance equitable access to justice.
Reporting to the Chief Communications Officer, the Digital Director joins a dedicated team of communications professionals and will supervise staff and consultants. The Digital Director will model Legal Aid’s core values, and will bring their commitment to social, racial, and economic justice into every aspect of their work.
- Work proactively with the Chief Communications Officer to design, execute, and track performance of awareness-raising, advocacy, grassroots fundraising, and community education campaigns
- Independently draft, edit, proof, and secure approval of accurate, timely, and compelling social media, website, email, and digital advertising content
- Partner with internal stakeholders in developing and managing Legal Aid’s editorial calendar and ensuring the timely creation of content across digital and social channels
- Conduct audience and market research through A/B testing, focus groups, interviews, and other user research techniques
- Use your knowledge of audience behavior, targeting, and segmentation to grow and enhance engagement of our website, email, and social media community
- Leverage knowledge of digital marketing and design best practices to inform and improve content development and distribution strategy
- Oversee content planning, production, and distribution of graphics, flyers, videos, still photography, and other multimedia content
- Fully integrate data and analytics into Legal Aid’s digital strategies; monitor and report on performance for continuous improvement
- Design, launch, maintain, and drive the growth of Legal Aid’s online store
- Design and launch an SMS program for grassroots fundraising, community education, and advocacy.
- Supervise a team of content developers and support their professional development
- Coordinate with the Chief Communications Officer, General Counsel, Finance, and Operations departments to manage RFP processes, budget, and purchasing with vendors and contractors
- Stay informed of social media, marketing, grassroots fundraising, and digital organizing trends and best practices
- Other duties as assigned
Resume, Cover Letter, and Work Samples/Portfolio. Please submit these documents as a combined PDF document via the LAS Recruitment portal.
TRAINING AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least 7 years of relevant experience, with at least 3 years of experience supervising staff
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Marketing, Advertising, Communications, or Public Relations. Graduate education can be substituted for years of experience
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Exceptional writing/proofreading, time management, organizational, and project management skills, with high attention to detail
- Knowledge of City and State politics, and the legislative and budget processes is strongly preferred
- Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, and Adobe CS skills strongly preferred
- Familiarity with CMS/CRM systems is required (WordPress, Raiser’s Edge NXT, and/or Luminate Online)
- Proficiency with MS Office is required
- Proficiency with social media sites is required (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube)
- Proficiency with digital marketing and analytics tools is required (Google Analytics, Google Ad Manager, Facebook Business Manager, and Twitter Ads Manager)
- Broad understanding of marketing, production, website design, corporate identity, advertisements, and multimedia design
- Experience in non-profit, government, or mission-driven organizations
- Familiarity with design standards and requirements for digital platforms
- Discretion in handling sensitive and confidential matters
- Available to work during weekends and evenings
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society believes in attracting and retaining exceptional talent committed to serving our clients. We offer a generous benefits package including health insurance, paid vacation, disability, and life insurance, and more. Salaries for our unionized jobs are governed by our Collective Bargaining Agreement. Please visit our Careers page for additional information. Salary and benefits information will be available to applicants, when and if an offer is made.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
COVID VACCINATION INFORMATION
The Legal Aid Society is taking precautions and implementing safety measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to comply with New York City’s requirements concerning Covid-19. All members of the Legal Aid community have a shared responsibility to support and comply with policies and protocols to protect the health and safety of our community. Learn more about our COVID-19 policy by visiting our website.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications must be completed online. We do not accept paper submissions. Please visit our Careers Page to review all current job postings, and instructions on the application process. For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com .
As an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer, The Legal Aid Society prohibits discriminatory employment actions against and treatment of its employees and applicants for employment based on actual or perceived race or color, size (including bone structure, body size, height, shape, and weight), religion or creed, alienage or citizenship status, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity (one’s internal deeply-held sense of one’s gender which may be the same or different from one’s sex assigned at birth; one’s gender identity may be male, female, neither or both, e.g., non-binary), gender expression (the representation of gender as expressed through, for example, one’s name, choice of pronouns, clothing, haircut, behavior, voice, or body characteristics; gender expression may not be distinctively male or female and may not conform to traditional gender-based stereotypes assigned to specific gender identities), disability, marital status, relationship and family structure (including domestic partnerships, polyamorous families and individuals, chosen family, platonic co-parents, and multigenerational families), genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, arrest or pre-employment conviction record, credit history, unemployment status, caregiver status, salary history, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job posted: 2022-09-18