Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Digital Marketing Associate Director
Breast cancer is a complex disease with no simple solution. Every diagnosis is unique and puts lives at risk. We must stop breast cancer in its tracks, and research is the answer.
Founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation is the largest private funder of breast cancer research in the world. We invest in a wide range of research—prevention, diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, and metastasis—because each area of investigation informs another, propelling us toward the solutions we urgently need.
We convene and connect the best minds in science—giving them the opportunity to pursue their most innovative ideas. Our combination of investment and cross-disciplinary collaboration accelerates the entire field and builds momentum for new discoveries. BCRF-funded investigators have been behind every major breakthrough in breast cancer research, and the field is moving faster than ever. We can’t stop now.
With you, and the entire BCRF community, we are fueling the world’s most promising research. Join us—together, we will bring the end of breast cancer into focus. Learn more and get involved at BCRF.org.
ABOUT THE COMMUNICATIONS & ENGAGEMENT TEAM
The Communications and Engagement team drives increased awareness and visibility of BCRF’s mission and leadership through:
- The development and curation of the BCRF brand identity and campaign;
- Public relations and media outreach;
- A content and marketing strategy for all digital channels, including email, social media, video/podcasts, and bcrf.org; and, BCRF publications, including a bi-annual newsletter and annual report.
Additionally, the team leads engagement through direct and peer-to-peer fundraising along with other digital strategies, raising more than $7 million online annually.
The team serves as a strategic partner for all departments across the Foundation to facilitate powerful marketing and communications efforts for the Development and Events, Corporate Partnerships and Research teams.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Associate Director, Digital Marketing serves a critical role in the execution of BCRF’s communications and engagement strategy, and reports to the Managing Director of Digital.
The Digital Marketing Associate Director is responsible for:
- developing and implementing BCRF’s overall digital marketing strategy
- securing print, digital and other PSA opportunities for the organization’s brand campaign
- identifying strategic partners for innovative co-branded digital marketing initiatives
- conceptualizing and implementing cross-platform marketing programs to drive brand recognition, direct donations, peer-to-peer fundraising, community engagement, donor loyalty, and lead generation
- managing the day-to-day for email and social media marketing, match offers, and paid search/organic efforts
- tracking KPIs and other key analytics to chart progress in revenue, audience, and engagement
- providing a marketing lens to the design, content, and storytelling of the bcrf.org site
Primary responsibilities include:
Strategies & Partnerships
- Develop an overarching digital marketing strategy with an emphasis on scaling the visibility of BCRF’s brand campaign
- Identify advertising opportunities and align marketing investments with organizational priorities and strategic growth objectives
- Seek/evaluate digital partnerships and other promotional strategies with a focus on fundraising, donor loyalty, and brand awareness
- Create and drive in-house marketing initiatives for growth across digital platforms and general and peer-to-peer fundraising
- Develop matching gift strategies—analyzing and comparing offers, developing and deploying offers, and tracking performance
- Target and secure year-round and seasonal PSA placement opportunities across national/regional magazine and newspaper titles, digital media, radio, billboard, and television; build a network of media contacts to support it
- Identify targeted and cost-effective opportunities to drive brand awareness, donations, and lead generation
- Oversee search, organic, and social media marketing efforts: track external agencies’ strategy and performance, review copy and creative, oversee site optimizations, evaluate keyword opportunities, and more
- Leverage Facebook fundraising tools to develop messaging flows that promote brand awareness, engagement, and fundraising; assist with the development and promotion of BCRF’s virtual fitness challenges
- Assist in the management of BCRF’s email marketing program: help drive strategy and storytelling, conceptualize new ideas/formats, maintain editorial calendar, drive list generation, promote list hygiene, launch special messaging campaigns, and define audiences
- Partner with colleagues to evaluate the bcrf.org site and brainstorm opportunities to increase engagement, highlight donor impact, boost storytelling, and more
- Collaborate with department peers to create dashboards and monthly reports for fundraising, digital marketing, social media, and site optimization efforts
- Mine various data sources including CRM tools (Raiser’s Edge and Classy), Google Analytics 4 (website, search, organic), Mail Chimp, and social media channel metrics to surface insights, challenges, and opportunities
- Develop benchmarks and deliver measurable improvements against KPI’s and team objectives
Plus, potential additional duties as the team seeks to achieve its ambitious goals.
What you’ll learn:
- The massive – and very real – impact that we make every day;
- How to accelerate our work through our talented team; and
- How to operate within a successful not-for-profit that punches well above our weight.
This role coordinates and works with every member of the Communications and Engagement team, serves as primary contact for cross-departmental marketing requests, and helps manage various agency partners and vendors.
The ideal candidate will have experience in client-facing roles and will be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, superb communication and organizational skills, and the ability to prioritize, problem-solve and multi-task under deadline.
The ideal candidate will be extremely responsive, an enthusiastic consumer of all media (print, web, broadcast), passionate about mission-driven causes, a positive team player with the drive, ambition, know-how, and creativity necessary to help advance team efforts while managing ongoing projects and administrative tasks simultaneously.
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s degree in digital marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, or related field
- 7+ years applicable experience working in digital marketing at nonprofit organization, company, or agency
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong communications skills
- Thorough research and analytical skills
- Extremely detail-oriented with project management skills and experience
- Experience working with CRM and email marketing tools
- Experience working on websites, social media platforms, and tools utilized for those platforms
Given this role, the incumbent must be able to deliver marketing and communications support at events taking place at night and occasionally on weekends (with advance notice); occasional travel required.
While performing the duties of this role, you would regularly work in a hybrid remote/in-office NYC arrangement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, talk, and hear.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. There will be occasional need to work extra hours on evenings and weekends to fulfill the requirements of the role, particularly during BCRF fundraising event seasons.
Some travel is required for this role.
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume with the subject line Digital Marketing Associate Director to email@example.com. Candidates who share both why they’re a good fit and their salary expectations are more likely to qualify. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please no phone calls. All inquiries will be held in confidence.
The compensation range for this role is $105,000 – $ 115,000 annually along with an exceptional benefits package focusing on employee physical, financial and mental wellness.
Please note this role description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this role. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
BCRF is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Disabled/Veterans Equal Opportunity Employer.
BCRF upholds an equal opportunity employment policy and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, age, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
This policy applies to all applicants, employees, consultants, third-party workers.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-09-11