Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 74,000 pilots at 42 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an experienced Digital Specialist for our McLean, Virginia, office. The Digital Specialist provides digital creative and technical strategy to advance and support the Air Line Pilot Association’s online communications goals by maintaining and updating digital communications channels. As a self-starter, they will be responsible for maintaining websites for pilot groups including writing and creating content, posting on websites, styling websites, and working with the website team to keep websites current and updated. They also play a role in editing and creating email templates and sending email in ALPA’s email client, while supporting the mission, vision, and values of ALPA and striving to further the Association’s goals in the aviation industry.
Daily, they will receive requests from pilot groups to upload files and content to websites as well as adjusting modules, layouts, and forms.
Interested applicants will be requested to submit online portfolio link(s) showing previous work.
Travel: 2 – 10%.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as outlined in federal or provincial laws. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant area, e.g., Digital Media, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field preferred, from an accredited college or university; or, the equivalent combination of education and practical experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience and demonstrated expertise in digital content strategy, email messaging, website development, and/or digital design, five (5) or more years strongly preferred.
- Experience with email CRM platforms and Microsoft Office suite strongly preferred.
- Ability to be a self-starter and manage daily workloads and project list independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in HTML, CSS, and familiarity with other markup and/or programming languages strongly preferred.
- Experience designing for digital platforms within the Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Ability to quality control text documents for distribution on web and email platforms.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once, take direction from multiple sources, and meet deadlines.
- Strong writing skills with command of grammar, syntax, and usage.
- Strong proofreading skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to understand and decipher information and documents of a technical nature.
- Experience working with audio and video editing software a plus. Knowledge of labor-related issues preferred.
- Ability to test and troubleshoot software.
- Familiarity with new technologies and software for enhancing text, photographs, and graphics, strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of labor-related issues strongly preferred.
- Software: Proficiency in Content Management Systems. Proficiency with Adobe Suite for web publishing and graphic design including Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Adobe XD, and Dreamweaver. Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel locally and nationally; international travel may be required infrequently. Also includes occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, may be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as fifty (50) lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
ALPA offers competitive salaries with terrific benefits, including:
- 401k Plan with Non-Elective Employer Contribution of 13% after 180 days of employment. No employee contribution required! The plan includes a Roth option and 4-year vesting schedule.
- Generous health care benefits on day one – PPO, Kaiser (where available), and a High Deductible Health Plan which includes coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits for employee, spouse, and/or dependent children;
- 27 days paid vacation and holidays per year plus 2 volunteer days per year;
- Generous sick and bereavement leave;
- Competitive parental leave;
- Company-paid premiums for disability and life insurance;
- Flexible Spending and Health Savings accounts;
- Retiree health plan;
- Education Assistance Program; and,
- Optional benefits including pet insurance, excess life insurance, legal plan, and qualified transportation fringe benefits, where available.
Relocation not provided.
Sponsorship not available for this position.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2023-08-25