Dir, Government Affairs,Local Policy &Ops
Comcast Cable is one of the nation’s largest video, high-speed internet, and phone providers to residential customers and businesses. We also provide wireless, security, and automation services to residential customers. We provide these services in nearly 6,000 communities across 39 states and the District of Columbia. As a critical member of Comcast Cable’s headquarter-based Government Affairs team, the Director is responsible for supporting our Local Government Affairs personnel across the country and HQ-based business partners by: 1) tracking, analyzing and responding to local legislative, regulatory, and public policy issues that impact our operations and policy interests; 2) project managing multidisciplinary teams that are critical to various Government Affairs initiatives and advocacy interests; 3) developing and facilitating training on specific issues and/or resources; and 4) developing and maintaining critical resource and reference material including policy guides, planning templates, talking points, presentations, advocacy materials, etc.
– With the SVP of Government Affairs and team, manages local Government Affairs operations and policy; serves as the connective tissue between the field Government Affairs organization and the business units, and corporate line functions.
– Builds and maintains a predictable model for managing local legislative and regulatory policy that impacts our operations and/or policy interests throughout the legislative and regulatory lifecycle from forecasting to tracking, analysis, policy development and strategic response.
– Manages local legislation tracking vendors and works with the Sr. Manager of Government Affairs Reporting, Design and Analysis to provide field Government Affairs team members and others with timely, efficient, valuable and digital flagging, forecasting, tracking, reporting and planning tools.
– Serves as project manager in undertaking multidisciplinary reviews and analyses of and response to local legislative initiatives.
– Partners with the Law Department, business leaders and other subject matter experts to draft model legislation, and prepare mark-ups, amendments, and testimony as necessary.
– Partners with the Law Department to review, interpret, and communicate meanings of the terms and conditions of local legislation for implementation to ensure compliance with legal and regulatory standards.
– Along with Public Policy and External Affairs, coordinates and supports relationships with business, industry and policy coalitions regarding local policy, legislative and regulatory initiatives that are of common interest.
– -As part of the legislative and regulatory response planning and in partnership with Corporate Communications and other stakeholders, develops and maintains resource and reference material including policy statements/guides, playbooks, planning templates, talking points, presentations, advocacy materials, etc.
– Develops and facilitates training on local legislative issues/trends as well as resources.
– Complements the local regulatory affairs operations and policy support provided by the VP of Government Affairs. The operations and policy support are particularly focused on operational issues, e.g. programming cost initiatives, network upgrades, competitive response to government owned networks and other government incentivized competitors, growth of business services, expansion of our X1 platform, etc.
– Coordinates and supports relationships with business, industry and policy coalitions regarding initiatives that are of common interest.
– Develops and maintains resource and reference material including policy statements/guides, playbooks, planning templates, talking points, presentations, advocacy materials, etc.
– Develops and facilitates training.
– Builds internal relationships with subject matter experts.
– Project manages multi-disciplinary teams that are critical to various Government Affairs initiatives and advocacy interests.
– Coordinates closely with colleagues responsible for Local Advocacy, Intergovernmental Affairs, State Legislative Affairs, External Affairs and Global Public Policy.
– Serves as the Government Affairs team’s primary point of contact for the Product Planning Team, Programming Initiatives Team, Competitive Council, etc.
– Drafts reports for the Senior Vice President of Government Affairs, including a monthly field activity report and hot spot report.
– Consistently exercises independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
– Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
– Generally, requires 5-7 years of local government and legislative affairs.
– Law degree and municipal practice or significant experience with local government affairs including legislative drafting. Understands the drafting and amending process, as well as the associated legal language.
– Excellent project management skills with a proven ability to manage multidisciplinary project/issue teams including business leaders and other legal, government affairs, external affairs, policy and regulatory professionals.
– Experience supporting an extremely large and multi-jurisdictional field advocacy and relationship-management organization.
– Excellent drafting, writing, negotiating, problem solving, and communications skills.
– Experience with engagement, advocacy, and legislative databases such as Stateside and Quorum are a plus.
– Exposure to the cable, broadband, telecommunications, or technology industry experience is a plus.
– Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
– Superior writing, communication, and problem-solving skills.
– Ability to work well as part of a team of talented, independent professionals. We are a collaborative-by-design culture.
– Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines with high quality work product and results.
Learn more here
Comcast is an EOE/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer
Job posted: 2019-01-28