Dir Legislative Affairs
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
I. Job Summary
Responsible for the research, development, planning and implementation of the strategies and programs that will advance Waste Management’s relations with the community, the public, governmental and regulatory authorities, shareholders and employees. Responsible for federal legislative advocacy and serves as a legislative resource for state government affairs.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
- Manages federal legislative advocacy and coordinates with Market Area government affairs, including lobbying before federal and state legislatures and elected officials.
- Serves as key “Waste Management contact” with the U.S. Congress.
- Analyzes and implements strategic plans to influence proposed legislation.
- Directs lobbyists on strategy to convey the Company’s position.
- Develops and implements strategy to maximize benefit of the WM PAC, including conducting solicitations, creating and implementing the giving strategy, communicating with PAC contributors and its recipients. Coordinates with the National Director of Government Affairs to assure accurate reporting and compliance.
- Develops communication materials and resources including outreach materials, writing/editing newsletters, speeches, and presentations to promote greater awareness and understanding of WM business and operations in furtherance of government affairs strategies.
- Works with Corporate and Market Area personnel to identify opportunities to increase company visibility and advance business goals.
- Participates as a member of the WM Public Policy Group, developing and executing advocacy strategies.
- Develops and implements advocacy strategy for regulatory matters as needed, including development of communications materials, position development, and direct advocacy.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
The highest level of supervisory skills required in this job is the management of managerial employees. This includes:
- Direct supervision of _0_ full-time employees, including:
- Indirect supervision of _0_ full-time employees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) in Public Affairs/Policy, Business Administration, Environmental Science or similar area of study.
- Experience: Twelve years of relevant work experience in previous government affairs (in addition to education requirement).
Preferred: Master’s or Law Degree, or equivalent experience, in Public Affairs/Policy, Business Administration or similar area of study, and more than 8 years previous experience with federal and state advocacy.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- None required.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Understands key elements of public policy management, including critical government processes at the municipal, state and federal levels, internal and external communications, public opinion polling and other research methodologies.
- Excellent written communications skills, including drafting of testimony, public comment, draft legislation
- Excellent oral presentation skills and experience
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please click “Apply.”
Job posted: 2021-05-24