Dir. Strategic Public Engagement & Community Outreach
The Director of Strategic Public Engagement & Community Outreach is recognized as an expert when it comes to understanding how to apply communications strategy to APA priorities and initiatives and closely partner with peers at all levels of the function. This role provides consultation to leaders inside and outside of APA; and demands the highest level of project management, interpersonal communication, and professionalism. Works directly with members of the team on developing and executing communication strategy, finding and establishing key partnerships, developing a network of relationships across the field of psychology, and keeping abreast of new information across a variety of topic portfolios related to APA’s strategic and communication priorities. This individual should be able to contribute to professional development for team, as well as step in and back up the team on its deliverables.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher, such as master’s degree in journalism, communications, or public health.
- 12 years progressively responsible work on strategic communications and partnership cultivation for a professional membership association or nonprofit, scientific, or health organization or PR firm.
- Analyzing and synthesizing scientific and health research and translating research for psychologists and consumer audiences.
- A problem-solving and growth-oriented mindset, and the ability to prioritize and reprioritize work wisely.
- Emotional intelligence and exceptional leadership, communication, diplomacy, and program management skills.
- The ability to understand, simplify, and effectively communicate complex information.
- Excellent writing, editing, oral, analytical, project management, and presentation skills with attention to detail.
- A high degree of professionalism and discretion, a collaborative working style, the ability to solve complex problems, and excellent judgment.
- Significant experience dealing directly with executive leadership and the capacity to influence with or without authority and earn leadership buy-in.
- The ability to work with minimal supervision while contributing to the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office 365 suite, including PowerPoint, Teams, and SharePoint.
- With minimal oversight, provide leadership on major projects and portfolio work and help drive the strategic alignment, operational efficiency, and effectiveness of the Strategic Public Engagement and Community Outreach (SPECO) team.
- Review, analyze, and effectively communicate scientific research and complex financial health information to psychologists and relevant audiences.
- Contribute to the development and lead the execution of results-driven, audience-centric community outreach strategies and tactical plans designed to connect APA’s various community audiences to the organization.
- Manage and adapt work streams according to APA policies and priorities, and support efforts to ensure task completion.
- Understand the needs of APA’s audiences and develop and deliver an integrated communication strategy to address those needs and elevate the APA mission.
- Support leadership in the development and execution of Communication strategy across APA.
- Review, edit, and approve communication content that delivers appropriate strategic messaging and meets target audiences’ objectives.
- Aggregate and report on qualitative and quantitative success and communication measures.
- Interact with peers to listen and respond to public conversations as directed; Advise and train internal audiences (staff experts, volunteer leadership, members) on how to communicate effectively with target audiences.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Serve as an ambassador of the Communication function internally, educating staff and internal stakeholders on processes and providing visibility to the direction of the team.
- Serve as an ambassador of APA externally, helping to develop strategic alliances and enhance collaboration with other organizations.
- Meaningfully contribute to the overall effectiveness and impact of Communication.
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington D.C., was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace. It is metro accessible from the Red Line.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary requirements. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us.
The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Job posted: 2021-05-30