Director, Alliance Development
The primary purpose of this position is to build ethical, mutual and enduring partnerships with patient, research and consumer advocacy organizations as well as other healthcare stakeholders to advance public policy in support of BIO’s vision and mission, and to transform patients’ lives.
The Director, Alliance Development will provide input and execute on BIO’s federal alliance advocacy activity, as directed by the Vice President of External Relations. Because patients are at the heart of BIO’s mission, this position will also be responsible for gaining key insights from the patient, research and consumer advocacy communities to help inform BIO’s decision making.
Develop and maintain strong relationships with federal policy-focused patient, research and consumer advocates and other important stakeholders and influencers:
- Build and lead coalitions to drive engagement on issues primarily related to value, access and reimbursement
- Serve as a liaison and resource between BIO and the advocacy community on federal policy issues.
- Educate stakeholders on BIO’s objectives, the value of medicines, policy priorities and other issues as defined.
- Manage activities and outreach to third-party stakeholders including regular policy briefings, workshops, coalitions and ad hoc working groups.
- Participate in patient advocacy corporate advisory councils, annual meetings, retreats, conferences and conventions as appropriate to represent BIO and BIO member company priorities and interests
- Lead BIO staff-level Alliance Development Committee.
- Serve as a connector and a source of credible information by consistently delivering meaningful opportunities and relevant communications to advocates.
- Routinely leverage current BIO communications tools, campaigns and resources and deliver them to strategically targeted stakeholders.
Lead all aspects of BIO’s signature patient advocacy programs:
- Patient Health and Advocacy Summit: this annual event draws 300+ attendees for 1 ½ days of policy-focused educational programming and networking. Sourcing, travel and logistical support is provided by the BIO Events team, and the Director, Alliance Development is responsible for developing the strategy, program and agenda, as well as coordinating with the Events team / liaison on meeting logistics.
- Patient Pavilion at BIO’s Annual Convention
Effectively, clearly and regularly communicate goals, milestones, events and logistical information to internal and cross functional teams, as appropriate.
- Contribute to External Relations and FGR strategies and provide insights to BIO regarding advocates’ perspectives and needs.
- Coordinate with teammates to ensure customer outreach is coordinated and strategic.
- Report relevant information gleaned from participation in patient advocacy corporate advisory boards.
- Oversee BIO Alliance Development operational, outreach and events budget
- Provide input into strategic funding priorities for BIO’s Charitable Grants Program.
- Outstanding relationship management abilities and strong interpersonal skills
- Superb communications skills, both written and interpersonal.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Understanding of the federal legislative and reimbursement environment including Medicare Part B, Part D and Medicaid
- Ability to work effectively with groups across the political spectrum.
- Strong desire to contribute to team success, with a genuine enthusiasm for supporting team members efforts
- Required travel: limited (less than 10%)
- Undergraduate degree required from a four-year institution.
- 10+ years of experience, preferably working for or with biopharmaceutical companies in public affairs, government affairs, advocacy or alliance development
- Existing relationships with patient advocacy organizations is highly desired
- Credibility among healthcare policy stakeholders, coalitions and other advocacy organizations
- This position is based at BIO headquarters in Washington DC
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-03-24