Director, APCO Insight
This position is hands-on, charged with winning new business, developing and managing client relationships, and leading research assignments.
APCO Insight is:
- A team of roughly 20 research-enabled communications professionals (concentrated in D.C. and London) who work among and with APCO’s communications professionals worldwide.
- Deeply committed to doing high-quality research but also pushing the boundaries of what traditional opinion research looks like.
- Really good at traditional opinion research (surveys, focus groups, in-depth interviews), and broadening our reach into blending these methods with digital and social research tools, big data, data analytics and secondary research tools and methods.
- Creating a center of excellence to deliver insights to our colleagues and clients to inform strategy, tactics and execution so our clients can act differently, smarter and with more confidence.
- Specialists in corporate reputation research, issues management/message testing research,and thought leadership research to help clients show up differently in the marketplace.
- Proud of our impressive client roster (Fortune 500, major industry associations, large non-profits, and governments).
- Sometimes a bit too wonky and public affairs issues focused for our own good (we are looking to balance that out).
- At 10 least years of experience in the research world helping companies understand stakeholder attitudes and perceptions, the future of issues affecting their business and how these issues and trends are likely to evolve in the future.
- Bring a track record of winning new business and collaborating with colleagues to respond to RFPs, pitch new work and win client assignments.
- Can design, conduct, and manage research projects from beginning to end.
- Think big and strategically but also roll-up your sleeves to do the day-to-day work yourself.
- Be a wizard at gathering, analyzing, and synthesizing data into compelling narratives, workshops and presentations.
- Enjoy telling stories about the “why” of people and cultures to inform richer business strategies.
- Can lead educational initiatives to ensure our communications colleagues understand insights-driven strategies and how to work with you to uncover them.
- Can clearly explain complex models and techniques in a way that makes their insights accessible to our colleagues and clients.
- Be good at cultivating current and prospective client relationships and identifying opportunities to expand these relationships.
- Have experience with social and digital communications research tools, data analytics or the integration of client, third-party data with opinion research data and other innovations in the insights profession.
- Be a mentor and coach to mid-level and junior research team members.
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit with a desire to grow and shape the research group and build a business.
- Be an evangelizer on the value of high-quality research to potential clients as well as your communications colleagues (i.e. the most of APCO that doesn’t sit in a research function).
Furthermore, the ideal candidate will have some experience working on public affairs issues management, crisis management, corporate reputation, brand strategy, market entry or consumer insights, but this is not required.
Founded in 1984, APCO Worldwide is an award-winning, independently owned global communication and business strategy firm with offices in major cities throughout North America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia. APCO combines a global perspective with local expertise to help clients around the world manage challenges, opportunities, perceptions andreputations. APCO clients include corporations and governments; industry associations and nonprofit organizations; and six of the top 10 companies on the Fortune 500. The firm is a majority women-owned business.
APCO Worldwide, named “Public Affairs Agency of the Decade” by The Holmes Report and one of the “Top Places to Work in PR” by PRNews, offers a collegial work environment, countless training and development opportunities, and a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Job posted: 2019-03-21