Director of Brand, Communications and PR
San Francisco, CA/Austin, TX/Remote
hippo’s Director of Brand, Communications, and PR will be a leader in our marketing and team. They will help hire and lead a team of creatives, writers, and marketers to build concepts across all mediums. They will understand our customers, products, and company culture, and tie that together with a unified brand and story. They will ensure we are top of mind for customers, partners, and prospects, and enhance the performance of Shippo’s marketing channels across the board.
Shipping, when deployed correctly, is a growth driver for e-commerce businesses. However, the benefits and competitive advantages of shipping have historically been reserved for only the savviest and most resource-rich businesses. Shippo is changing that dynamic, by providing business of all sizes and growth stages with everything they need to leverage shipping for growth.
By using Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to multiple shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. Businesses can get real-time shipping rates and ETAs, automate fulfillment workflows, print labels, create and process international documents, notify customers, track shipments, and facilitate returns. Shippos are a diverse set of individuals. We look for cultural and skill fit in every new person.
Join us to build the foundations of something great, roll up your sleeves, and get important work done everyday. Shippo’s investors include D1 Capital Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Union Square Ventures, Uncork Capital, VersionOne Ventures, FundersClub, and others. We are seeking an experienced Comms and PR leader, who will work closely with Shippo’s executive, product development, business development, and marketing teams to tell Shippo’s story and increase brand presence in the market. This role will be a high-impact leadership position that will collaborate closely and strategically with leaders across the company.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with media and influential industry leaders and serve as a spokesperson for the company. Design and conduct media training for key execs at the company, including our CEO.
- Work together with our external PR agency to develop press releases and media plans to promote Shippo announcements, spanning across product releases, strategic partnerships, executive hirings, industry/thought leadership, and more.
- Write long-form thought leadership content for owned (blog, newsroom) and external channels (op-eds, sponsored articles) that establishes Shippo’s POV in the e-commerce and logistics spaces. Draft brief quotes/soundbites that journalists can leverage and promulgate.
- Work cross-functionally to define Shippo’s brand, and ensure brand consistency across external communications and customer touchpoints. Oversee and manage Shippo’s company reputation and brand presence to drive awareness, brand consideration, and growth.
- Pitch new ideas and amplify content and social concepts to propel brand awareness while representing Shippo’s voice and story, and staying consistent with current trends and media opportunities.
- Ensure that the cross-company efforts, such as new product launches or partnerships, connect to clear and powerful narratives that resonate with key audiences.
- Collaborate with the sales, product, partnership, and marketing teams to uncover insights and strategies to develop and implement branding strategies for new and existing products, internally and externally.
- Lead by example and have a strong sense of urgency; highly responsive.
- You tell us what you should do and what you want to do. We don’t want to restrict you to a bullet point list of activities. The ideal candidate will work with leadership to identify new high-leverage activities and opportunities for growth. Our job is to set you up for success and let you take ownership as a marketer.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 5+ years of experience leading Brand, Corporate Communications, and PR; ideally at well-recognized brands within e-commerce, logistics, or shipping. Experience working within a complex and competitive space is a plus.
- Experience partnering directly with C-level executives for media prep, ghost writing, and narrative development in a fast-paced environment.
- Product and market expertise: To succeed in this role, you’ll need to live and breathe e-commerce and shipping. Prior experience in a related field is a bonus, but you’ll also need to demonstrate the ability to learn and grow. We’ll ask you for examples of how you’ve mastered the intricacies of other businesses in your previous experience.
- Brand development experience; ideally you’ve helped a brand mature and evolve through growth stages. You’ll collaborate with marketing partners and cross-functional leaders to evolve Shippo’s brand as we grow and expand our efforts. You will obsess over creative work that is thoughtful, meaningful, clear, and inspiring. You will direct other creatives as well as work in the creative process yourself.
- Content and storytelling chops: You’ll be the voice of Shippo across external communications and PR. You’ll need to be versed in creating strategic narratives, pitching journalists, tying individual stories and releases to broader strategic objectives, and writing engaging long-form content and have some examples to show off.
- Superior communication skills: You have the ability to crisply and clearly communicate complex concepts to external audiences and prioritize and efficiently communicate goals and results to diverse audiences internally including your direct team, executive leadership, and the company as a whole.
- A demonstrated history of being a team player, and desire to jump in and get your hands dirty as needed.
Benefits and Perks
- Healthcare coverage for medical, dental, and vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents)
- Take-as-much-as-you-need vacation policy + flexible work hours
- Fun team events outside of work hours
- Awesome people that care about Shippo’s mission, product and team
- $2,500 annual budget for professional development
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-14