Director, Campaign Communications
About Leadership for Educational Equity
Leadership for Educational Equity is a nonprofit leadership development organization inspiring and supporting a network of civic leaders to eradicate the injustice of educational inequity.
Through one-on-one coaching, fellowships, workshops, and resources, LEE works to develop and inspire its members individually and collectively, across all disciplines – as policy makers, advocates, elected leaders and community organizers. LEE membership is free and currently open to all TFA corps members and alumni. LEE believes that when a diverse group of leaders, grounded in their classroom experience, are in leadership roles, they will serve as a transformative force for and with students, communities and the broader movement for educational equity.
LEE is a diverse team of passionate and talented individuals committed to making a difference. We are a high-growth, results-oriented organization that operates in an entrepreneurial environment deeply invested in continuous improvement. LEE is honored to have been selected as a LATINA Style 50 Award recipient and a When Work Works award recipient. We are also an Employer of National Service. If you would like to become part of our team and join the fight for educational equity, or if you would simply like to learn more, please visit educationalequity.org.
The Elected Leadership (EL) team is responsible for inspiring, developing and supporting our members to effectively pursue elected office as a path to help kids and their community. This position reports to the Director, Campaign Support and will be responsible for the strategic execution of campaign communication support, with a focus on campaign messaging, earned media, and rapid response. The Director, Campaign Communications will collaborate with the team on special projects, as well as prepare candidates for all campaign related activities and media opportunities. This position will be responsible for developing training materials and utilizing an online learning platform to provide communications support to a portfolio of candidates every cycle. Additionally, this position will serve as a liaison between the EL team and LEE’s communications team, with a focus on identifying external media opportunities for our candidates.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience working directly with political candidates and an ability to collect the relevant information from a geographically dispersed portfolio of candidates. This leader is proactive, responsible, and has experience building and maintaining strong professional relationships in a virtual and fast paced work environment.
Position Location: Flexible
Travel Requirements: 15%; dependent on position location. Travel will fluctuate based on election support cycles, and will depend on geographic distribution of candidates in the portfolio.
Candidate communications strategy and coaching support (50%)
- Manage the development and implementation of candidate communications strategies
- Support members in development of foundational messages (website, campaign literature, etc.)
- Support members in achieving earned media and conduct interview prep
- Coach and prepare members for forums and debates
- Coach and develop members through endorsement processes
Political communication tools, resources, and guides (20%)
- Develop differentiated political communications tools, trainings, and resources
- Utilize online blended learning platform to engage candidates
External brand management (20%)
- Direct robust engagement and story placement strategies resulting in rich story features across earned media, digital, and broadcast platforms
- Conceptualize, deploy, and assess digital brand campaigns and strategies
- Develop and maintain relationships with external media outlets
- Support the creation and execution of earned media opportunities for candidates
Special projects (10%)
- Special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate years of work experience
- 5 years of relevant professional work experience in political communications
- Evidence of experience developing political communications collateral and developing candidate’s political communications expertise
- Highly effective communication and facilitation skills and experience developing and leading political trainings for candidates and/or political professionals
- Ability to track and analyze metrics efficiently and effectively
- Attention to detail and a strong skill in proofreading as well as a high-level of accuracy in work
- Effective interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work with diverse internal and external constituencies
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Advanced experience with communications strategy
- Experience with online learning platforms
- Proven ability to effectively work and manage a geographically dispersed team
- Deep passion for educational equity and belief in LEE’s mission and theory of change
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. LEE offers a comprehensive benefits plan that includes health, dental and vision coverage for spouses, families and domestic partners; life insurance; a retirement package with employer match; family and parent benefits; generous paid time off and an organization-wide winter break between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Leadership for Educational Equity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.
An affirmative action-equal opportunity employer.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria, and general work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-06-02