AIA’s communications team is a key driver of the organization’s advocacy and outreach strategy, sharing the story of how the aerospace and defense industry contributes to America’s safety, security, and economic success. We are looking for a media and messaging expert with a proven track record of accomplishments to help lead AIA’s engagement with members of the press and other key audiences. You’ll be a spokesperson for the Association, address reporter queries and pitch a wide variety of press stories, develop media engagement strategies, and provide key counsel on messaging. You will also work with our policy and legislative teams to develop a wide range of materials, including blog posts, Op-Eds, Letters to the Editor, White Papers, reports, and other high-visibility communications.
This position reports to the Vice President of Communications and works directly with staff at all levels across the Association, as well as AIA Member Companies.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides counsel on strategic messaging and media engagement, drawing from a clear understanding of the latest communications trends and relevant media outlets.
- Generates original ideas for media strategy and outreach and develops strategic media plans.
- Communicates with a wide range of national and trade media on behalf of the association, maintaining key media contacts and growing relationships with newsrooms and journalists.
- Writes persuasively and creatively, distills complex technical and policy statements into easy-to-understand statements.
- Drafts key messages, press releases, Op-Eds, blog posts, pitches, Tweets, and other written products.
- On occasion, as needed, provides support for other functions in the office including but not limited to special events and meetings.
- Attends local presentations and may be required to travel nationally and internationally to support public events.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience with media relations or journalism.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with reporters.
- Exceptional communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- An understanding of the changing media landscape, the pressures that newsrooms and journalists face, and how social media impacts and intersects today’s journalism.
- Ability to execute work and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Understanding of the policymaking process
- Ability to effectively communicate the vision, programs and value of AIA to various audiences.
- Proficient in applicable technology programs and applications.
- Demonstrated experience working in a highly collaborative environment while developing and maintaining positive work relationships.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent work experience required.
To Apply, please send the following documents to email@example.com:
- Cover Letter
- Three (3) References [Name, Title, Contact information]
AIA is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity/expression or Veteran status. Consistent with our AIA’s commitment to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better organization and better results. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-08-30