Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
The Plastics Industry Association, a D.C.-based trade association which represents the nation’s nearly one million workers in the $395 billion plastics industry, is seeking a Director of Communications to join our communications team.
Reporting to the Vice President of Communications, the Director of Communications will be PLASTICS’ primary external media representative, promoting plastics materials, products, companies, sustainability efforts and industry experts to the press and public. Working with PLASTICS’ colleagues and members to enhance understanding of plastics’ benefits, our industry’s global reputation and association’s brand, the Director of Communications will partner closely with Government Affairs, Member Engagement and PLASTICS personnel to research and interpret current events, business news, and public policy, and to spread helpful, accurate information across all available platforms. Excellent writing, editing and speaking skills are paramount, as is an appreciation for business and economics, environmental responsibility, science and innovation, membership engagement and growth.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develop and execute broad messaging strategy to promote plastics as an advanced material and counter possible misconceptions.
- Promote the people of the plastics industry to enhance a better public understanding of those within the plastics industry workforce.
- Cultivate relationships with national, local and trade media to promote plastics, the many facets of our industry and the Plastics Industry Association to a variety of audiences, including the general public.
- Actively pitch positive news of plastics’ environmental, health, economic and other benefits to reporters and opinion-makers and respond rapidly to prevent misinformation.
- Research and summarize in concise terms issues important to plastics companies and employees, such as taxes, trade, energy, infrastructure, environmental, health and safety.
- Secure and coordinate press interviews and prepare PLASTICS’ CEO and other interviewees with effective themes and information to succeed.
- Conceive, write and edit talking points, statements, press releases, op-eds, blogs, letters-to-the-editor, video scripts, speeches and testimony advancing plastics industry priorities.
- Carefully monitor all media sources for emerging stories, trends and reputational concerns for the association, our members and industry.
- Organize and grow press lists, as well as diligently record press hits, maintaining current news at plasticsindustry.org.
- Serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for PLASTICS in the press, at media events and public presentations.
- Create a crisis communications plan to help PLASTICS staff and members prepare for unexpected scenarios.
- Coordinate media activities for NPE: The Plastics Show, one of the world’s largest international plastics trade shows.
- Contribute articles to PLASTICS magazine, newsletters and the website.
- According to Associated Press style, assist with proofreading and fact-checking communications and marketing materials, as needed.
- Manage content and analyze metrics for PLASTICS websites and social media, including the PLASTICS Connects mobile application, as needed.
- Support the Communications Department’s efforts to achieve its goals under PLASTICS’ Strategic Plan: Advocacy, Communications, Member Engagement and Sustainability.
REQUIRED SKILLS and EXPERIANCE
- Strong writing and editing ability, with attention to detail for executive presentation.
- Strategic and goal-oriented planning capabilities.
- A true commitment to being a part of a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Media and political savvy, as well as proper judgement for discretion and discernment.
- Press contacts, preferably at manufacturing, energy, environmental, transportation and related media outlets.
- Capability to conduct in-depth research and policy navigation.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to work under multiple deadlines.
- Detail-oriented with ability to work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel and experience with CISION.
- Solid aptitude for digital communications and willingness to learn new tools.
- A positive attitude and a strong sense of humor.
- An earnest work ethic and dedication to collective success of the organization in service of our membership.
- Internal: PLASTICS staff and consultants.
- External: PLASTICS members, media outlets, educational and research organizations, trade groups and industry associations, legislative, governmental and regulatory staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: College Degree in appropriate related field
- Experience: Minimum five to seven years of experience in journalism, public relations, or professional communications environment.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, salary requirements, resume and writing samples to HR@plasticsindustry.org with PLASTICS Director of Communications in subject line.
PLASTICS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Us: PLASTICS is a dynamic organization with an ambitious team, striving for growth and success. Together we shape the direction of the entire plastics industry and represent the members we serve. Employees have an opportunity to grow, learn and impact both the industry and the inner workings of our association. We encourage an environment that fosters teamwork, and perpetuates respect for each other, our surroundings, and the environment.We offer generous benefits including health, dental, vision and life insurance, competitive salaries and a 401(k) plan with employer match and contributions. We work hard, play hard, and value a work-life balance. To learn more about PLASTICS, go to www.plasticsindustry.org or visit www.thisisplastics.com.
Job posted: 2022-07-17