Director of Communications – Environment Practice
Waxman Strategies, a progressive public affairs firm led by former Congressman Henry Waxman, is accepting applications for a Director of Communications – Environment Practice to report to our Senior Communications Director and help guide the media relations, campaign communications strategy and content development for the firm’s environment team. As the Director of Communications, you will be a key part of our work to: protect tropical forests and the Indigenous communities who depend on them; protect our oceans; and fight climate change.
As the Director of Communications, you will work closely with Mighty Earth, a nonprofit organization through which much of our environmental advocacy work is conducted. Mighty Earth runs global campaigns to stop deforestation, transform agriculture, and shift whole industries to 100 percent clean energy.
Who we are:
Deemed “one of the most accomplished legislators of his or any era” by President Barack Obama, former Congressman Henry Waxman leads our talented team. Waxman Strategies uses advocacy, communications and campaigns to shape policies, advance causes and build movements around the world. A sampling of clients includes the Arcus Foundation, the National Wildlife Federation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, Rainforest Foundation Norway, the National Association of Community Health Centers, Planned Parenthood, and the Natural Resources Defense Council.
Background on the position:
The Director of Communications will help manage all media relations strategy, pitching, and branding activities for the Waxman Strategies Environment Team and Mighty Earth.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Media Relations: Overseeing and driving media relations pushes, while cultivating and managing relationships with domestic and international reporters. We have built a global network of media connections and attention by driving domestic and international media coverage in the areas we work in including throughout the United States, Europe, Africa, Indonesia, and Latin America and your work will build on this success.
- Communications Planning & Message Development: Working closely with Waxman’s Campaign Directors to develop comprehensive and strategic campaign communications plans and messaging, as well as creative communications tactics around campaign launches, report releases, and campaign branding/positioning. You will play a key role in identifying and responding to media opportunities and preparing the organization to react quickly to global events. You will also assist Campaign Directors with planning and executing live events as appropriate, such as grassroots actions and social media events.
- Organization Building: Developing and implementing internal communications and marketing plans to help grow the organization. You will assist in implementation of new systems and standards for communication programs. You will also engage in media and marketing efforts to help build the firm’s brand and reach.
- Writing & Editing: Writing and editing a variety of communications materials, both internal and external, including press releases, reporter pitches, blog posts, talking points and campaign media plans. You will work with Campaign Directors to guide the design and production of collateral materials and multimedia assets, including reports, videos, infographics, leave-behinds and live event props and related materials.
- Firm-wide support: This role may include some support of Waxman Strategies’ health and technology practice areas with communications and public relations strategy and planning as needed.
Who You Are:
- You have 5+ years of experience in media relations and communications strategy, with preference for communications experience at a public affairs/PR agency or nonprofit.
- You have existing relationships with U.S. and/or international media and an excitement for cultivating and managing relationships with reporters regularly.
- You have a background or interest in U.S. and global environmental, climate, energy issues, and social justice issues.
- You have an ability to get up to speed quickly on complex issues and manage multiple simultaneous projects with many moving pieces. You have a facility for synthesizing complex topics into engaging and creative communications.
- You have grit and resilience. You drive projects to completion and accomplish your goals, but are also able to pivot easily to address an emergent issue or seize an opportunity.
- You have experience with brand development, internal communications, and production of marketing materials.
- You have excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- You can work well in a team setting; you know how to collaborate and also when to work independently. You are a good listener who connects with people; you know how to “manage up” across working and management styles.
- You pay strong attention to detail.
- You have experience working on environmental issues and campaigns.
- You speak Spanish, Portuguese, French, or another language in addition to English.
- You have an international orientation and ideally have experience working with international campaign teams and colleagues.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
More about our team:
Waxman Strategies is made up of people from various backgrounds including people with background in non-profit organizations, election campaigns, government, the private sector, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
This is a full-time position based in our Washington, D.C. office. However, during the coronavirus pandemic, our staff are working from home. The safety of our team is a top priority and we will resume working from our office, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so. You will report to our Senior Communications Director of our Environment Practice.
Compensation and benefits:
The salary range for this position is $76K to $95K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the coronavirus pandemic.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter which demonstrates your writing abilities and let us know how you learned of the job. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis and the job will remain posted on our website until it is filled.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-04-23