Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Communications Law
- JD degree.
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state in which the position is located.
- 15 years of communications law experience.
- Experience managing in-house legal team(s).
- People management experience and team leadership.
- Demonstrated subject matter expertise in communications law.
About the job
In this role, you will work on the most exciting legal issues as disruptive technological innovations require creative and proactive legal guidance. You’ll be part of a smart group of in-house lawyers and the projects and cases you take on will challenge you to think big and differently. You will partner on initiatives that influence all aspects of the business and work with Googlers from all over the company. As an integrated part of the team, you will proactively assess legal risks and advise on products that will not only move information into the 21st century, but move information law forward as well.
As Director of Communications Law, you will lead the legal specialist team responsible for Google’s global regulatory strategy, advocacy, and compliance framework for communications applications, devices, and networks. You will work with internal and external stakeholders to shape the international laws and regulations that apply to Google’s communications products and services, and advise Google leaders, product and business teams, and in-house counsel on the associated obligations. You will navigate a fast-changing environment where Google’s innovations interact with the evolving regulatory requirements for telecommunications. At the heart of the role is cross-functional coordination with colleagues not only in the Legal department, but also on the Government Affairs and Public Policy, Corporate Communications, Product, and Engineering teams.
20th century laws don’t always solve 21st century problems, and Google Legal crafts innovative approaches for working with some of the toughest legal challenges of the information age. Whether you’re a patent attorney, an intellectual property expert or an engineer headed to law school, Google Legal lets you address unanswered legal quandaries and create new precedents. Our innovative services raise challenging questions that demand creative and practical answers. We provide those answers by working at the crossroads of the law and new technology, helping Google build innovative and important products for users around the world.
- Lead a team of lawyers and legal specialists in developing and executing our strategies for developing and applying global telecommunications and media laws and regulations.
- Advise executive management and business and product leaders on complex regulatory matters.
- Engage with legal, government affairs and public policy, product, and engineering colleagues in advising Google on communications law issues and choices in its product development.
- Collaborate with in-house litigation team and outside lawyers on Google’s own litigation, as well as monitoring developments in relevant litigation involving other companies.
- Develop and implement external strategies to address emerging challenges relating to Google’s products, services, and networks, including working with industry partners and trade associations to identify opportunities for improved collaboration.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-04